Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 04:30 AM   #1

Do you use the clutch as a starter button?

Clutch first - then turn key? ...or key then clutch?

The question is actually a ruse as I'm wanting to look into fusing my clutch lock-out switch closed. Twice my wife has had a 'no start' problem. Once at home where instinct said to me: replace 4yr old battery. Two days later, 1.5hrs from home, and equidistant from the dealer, required a rollback ride for service.

In neither case, did anyone else attempt to start the car right after her, nor could the dealer find anything wrong - the suspicion is she simply didn't mash the clutch all the way. She's driven stick BMW's and VW in the old days...more recently a newer VW with the lockout, but as the problem is not reproducable - she remains the suspect.

I'm assuming (..and you kow what that always means!) the car cannot be started in gear, therefore a redundant clutch switch is something a lawyer watching the AUDI trials forced them to do....AND since your (mine anyway..) instinct is to always have some clutch in and the release bearing will ease the pressure plate at about 2/3's depression - why not superglue the switch?

Thoughts?

Jim

wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:32 AM   #2

The obvious question is, can she learn to do this correctly?

Seems like a lot of effort to avoid relearning.

Alas, I don't want to start a war at home!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 09:37 AM   #3

I seem to remember some post about the ignition switch that caused aan intermittent no start. Might want to do a search on that 'cause I believe the switch used is an Audi part that has had several upgrades over the years. Tool pants would know for sure. Good luck.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I guess the answer to a question I couldn't quite understand is this:

No matter if the car is in gear or not, the clutch must be fully depressed to start the engine.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #5

Clutch first then Key. That's how I do it.

The superglue thing... I don't quite get it, I can start my car in gear so long as the clutch is pushed in. One thing I haven't tried is to put it in neutral, and then trying to start the car without pushing in the clutch. Dunno if that would work. If it does, that could be the thing to tell your wife to do to start it, put it in neutral first start it, then push in the clutch and put it into gear....

The previous owner of my 99' Boxster told me about a similar thing she went through. The dealer told her she just wasn't pushing the clutch all the way in, and her floor mat had slid forward and they said it was preventing the clutch from going all the way.

HTH, good luck,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #6

You have to have the clutch pressed in all the way down, in gear or not.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #7

Damn - they didn't put a 'lock out' in the gear selector. I finally tried it myself this afternoon and you can start it in 6th, but you have to press the clutch in first. Frankly, I prefer the 'only in neutral' method my 1957, Furgeson-40 tractor uses.

I also had a '36 Ford Sedan, and if I remember correctly; the starter button was under the clutch pedal. Maybe that's where Ferry P. got the idea..

Ya, the dealer mentioned the 'scrunched rug', but these are quite stable. Since I've never had a 'no start', I suspect it was perhaps a 90% effort that was the root of the problem. I mentioned the switch, but the dealer said that most of the time the key became hard to turn - as in mechanical problem - well before an electrical one arose.

Thanks all. At least there's now an acute awareness of the clutch in our household.

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
You have to have the clutch pressed in all the way down, in gear or not.

Really??? is there a difference between US and Europe models?
I never declutch before starting the engine, i just check that I am in neutral first
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #9

I know this is not so pertinent, but my Jeep Wranlger has a setting that let you start the engine with the transmission in gear, and the clutch engaged (not pushed it). It was pretty crazy, just throws you forward when you turned the key. it was for if you were so off camber that fuel could not get to the injectors/engine and you wanted to use the starter to turn the engine over and move the vehicle a short distance...

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:36 PM   #10

Don't know if this applies to your wife's experiences, but the Boxster starter position on the ignition switch is a "single opportunity" only. Meaning, if the engine doesn't start after you crank it, you can't just turn it to crank again - you have to turn it all the way back to the "off" position before you can try again to crank. When I was new to the car, this caused some head-scratching for me... it makes sense for starter/flywheel protection when the engine is running but is pretty unusual/inconvenient if you just didn't hold the key for long enough to get there.

Last edited by donv; 02-21-2005 at 11:18 AM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #11

I guess this exercise has taught us all that Porsches are particular about the sex of the driver.

Dang, how competely sexist!

I guess my wife will just have to keep driving her Honda
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #12

Talking

There you go!