View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 04:30 AM   #1
wetstuff

Do you use the clutch as a starter button?

Clutch first - then turn key? ...or key then clutch?

The question is actually a ruse as I'm wanting to look into fusing my clutch lock-out switch closed. Twice my wife has had a 'no start' problem. Once at home where instinct said to me: replace 4yr old battery. Two days later, 1.5hrs from home, and equidistant from the dealer, required a rollback ride for service.

In neither case, did anyone else attempt to start the car right after her, nor could the dealer find anything wrong - the suspicion is she simply didn't mash the clutch all the way. She's driven stick BMW's and VW in the old days...more recently a newer VW with the lockout, but as the problem is not reproducable - she remains the suspect.

I'm assuming (..and you kow what that always means!) the car cannot be started in gear, therefore a redundant clutch switch is something a lawyer watching the AUDI trials forced them to do....AND since your (mine anyway..) instinct is to always have some clutch in and the release bearing will ease the pressure plate at about 2/3's depression - why not superglue the switch?

Thoughts?

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote