Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #1

Cool Unpluged MAF not good

Per advice from form, I unplugged the connector to the MAF and tried to start car. It finally started on the 5th time but ran really bad. So I replaced the connection and started again. This time it started on the first time but the original problem of a very low idle and near stalling when pushing gas is back again. I expected car to go in default mode and run OK when the MAF was disconnected.

My next job is to clean the MAF mirror with some diluted Ever Clear.

Any other suggestions besides this and cleaning throttle body?

It's going to be 100 F today so please respond ASOP.

ChefCarnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

This means that the MAF isn't necessarily your problem. From your brief description, it sounds to me like a vacuum leak, not throttle body or MAF related.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
CEL is on? What error codes are you getting? Yr and model? Mileage?
Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #4

Thanks for your ASAP responses

Topless,

I have a 97 boxster with 115k miles. The codes are: P1313, 1316,1317,1319 and 0102.

Would a leak come on suddenly? This car was driven non-stop from Charlotte to Raleigh and at least 500 miles in Raleigh before this powerless symptom occurred.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #5

OK I think I "fixed" it

I wish I could say that I fixed the problem with a chefs' knife or a channel knife but instead it looks like I fixed it with a recollection of the events leading up to the problem. They were that I replaced both the air filters for the cabin and for the engine. I decided it may be the engine filter so I took it out and looked it over thinking that was it possible to but it in upside down. No that was not possible because of the cut away on one side. So I put it back in the holder and closed the door with the two latches. Or I thought I did when I checked again neither latch had actually "clicked" shut so I push the tray in until they did.

That seems to have been the problem. There were no codes and the engine runs fine without any delay and the idle is around 1k. It started initially at 1,300 rpm then settled down.

So The question is if the air filter is not completely sealed and both clips ingaged I got the symptom of low idle and wanting to stall out when pushing the gas petal.

The big question is "What is going on, here? is the vacuum being affected?"

I finally have cleared the garage of moving boxes so I was able to work in the shade at 81F according to my Foxy Boxie.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefCarnivore
Topless,

I have a 97 boxster with 115k miles. The codes are: P1313, 1316,1317,1319 and 0102.

Would a leak come on suddenly? This car was driven non-stop from Charlotte to Raleigh and at least 500 miles in Raleigh before this powerless symptom occurred.
0102 Mass air flow below lower limit (clean or replace)
All the others are emission related misfire codes. (Spark plugs? bad MAF) sounds like she is running lousy.