Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Exclamation Air Bag Dash Strips

I'm talking about the little strips that going all away throughout the center of the Dash.(Three pieces).Well my point is that i bought the aluminum ones to upgrade my dark console, they were OEM the same as original. I didn't know and I check everywhere that they are attach with screws from inside it was a nightmare to take the old ones out .I will like to tell everybody the look nice when you done but the cost to me seems a little high because at least me couldn't take them without mes the dashboard I had to pull them really hard to break the hole where the screws were.And very risk it to take out the dash for just three air bag strips.If some body know better way please tell to the others I REALLY HAD A HARD TIME. Porsche Boxster 2001.

andre69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:57 AM   #2

I used a soldering iron to melt holes in the strips and then had to use a slotted screw driver and pair of pliers to pull the strips out of the dash. It took some patience but got it done and with no damage to my leather dash.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Another option is to just use index cards to insert on the top and bottom of the dash strips to effectively mask them, and then spray paint the existing strips. I think Djolmas did that on his car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #4

Garage
My first post was on this very subject and this is how I tackled it

Help required with interior trim!

Chris.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H
My first post was on this very subject and this is how I tackled it

Help required with interior trim!

Chris.
When you secured the new strips in place, did you just glue them in, or did you screw them in place from behind? Thx.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #6

Garage
I just screwed them back in place using a flexy shafted driver and the original screws, I have done this a couple of times now(after changing from standard to silver then to body colour) and it's pretty straightforward.
Christian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #7

Thumbs up Thanks for help me

Thanks to all of you guys for your help to late for me ,I should wait for you, but I though when I first stared it going to be a lot easier and did it without think what it 's going to happen.I know now for the next time and to help others.I just glue them back with silicon.So far they work.Any idea how to try to fix at least a little bit the dash board is above and below the one right behind the wheel in the center.Thanks one more time.
andre69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H
I just screwed them back in place using a flexy shafted driver and the original screws, I have done this a couple of times now(after changing from standard to silver then to body colour) and it's pretty straightforward.
Thanks for that info. I was always hesitant to do this because I didn't want to just glue the new strips in place, as I always like OEM fitment. Now that I know you can screw the new ones in place just like the factory ones, maybe I'll give these a try.

Cheers.