Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #1

Air Filter Location?

OK Dumb Question. I found the cabin air filter location, but how in the world do I get to the air intake air filter?

hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #2

It's covered in your manual... if you didn't receive one with your car, it's worth the money you'll pay for it. Order one through Sunset Imports on Oregon and you'll save a bunch compared to your local stealership.

Basically, it's behind the driver's seat in the engine compartment. You must put your top in service mode and start taking off stuff to get to the motor area.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #3

OK... How do I put my top in service mode? I might as well pay Porsche an arm and leg to replace the filter..
hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #4

You really do need an owner's manual

Page 179-182 covers putting the top into service position and after that you do the obvious to remove and storage/speaker box, the insulated engine compartment cover and then you are looking at the air intake behind the driver's head.

If you don't have a manual, go to http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm and download the entire pdf.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #5

You're a good man, Mike!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It takes about 5 minutes (if you don't have a hardtop) to put the top in the service position and remove the box and carpetting to access the air filter. I had the dealer do it during my 30k mile service, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself next time. There might actual be step by step instructions with pictures on the internet on how to do this, a google search might turn up some results.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #7

service mode...

super easy.

http://www.realtime.net/~rentner/Blog/B600322026/C958212035/E2026823469/index.html

short of it:
1. open the top about 4-6 inches, just before the lid starts to come back down.
2. unhook the t-shirt material from the clips ( 1 on each side )
3. unhook the ball joint under the top, towards the side of the car
4. lift the back up towards the front of the car ( it kind of "clicks" / locks in place )

to get to the air filter:
1. remove the compartment and carpets by turning the screws a 1/4 turn, lift them out of the car
2. remove the engine cover by turning each of the screws and lifting the cover off and out
3. on the driver's side there's a box with either screws or pin clips depending on your YM. that's your air filter. just pull it out, replace the filter and work backwards.

tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote