Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Question about TECHART wheels

Hello I have been reading this forum for about 3 years now since I got my base boxster 2001 tiptronic model and I have to say it has been very informative although I have not been posting much or at all. Now I really need some help with a problem. I bought some wheels TECHART formula 18" very cheap from a neighbour but they are 911 offset 18X10.5 et 60 rear. I know they do not fit (rears hit the strut- fronts are fine). Is putting rear spacers OK and what width is best or should I not bother? Car is not lowered and used only as weekend toy. Thanks.

KostasCLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #2

You may have problems hitting the outer fender with spacers. Suggested offset on a 10" rear is 47mm, but a half inch wider wheel would require a wider spacer and push the wheels out even further. You may be able to get away with it with a 265 or 275/35, but doubt a 285 would fit.

Anyone out there try it?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

Garage
Techart Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostasCLK
Hello I have been reading this forum for about 3 years now since I got my base boxster 2001 tiptronic model and I have to say it has been very informative although I have not been posting much or at all. Now I really need some help with a problem. I bought some wheels TECHART formula 18" very cheap from a neighbour but they are 911 offset 18X10.5 et 60 rear. I know they do not fit (rears hit the strut- fronts are fine). Is putting rear spacers OK and what width is best or should I not bother? Car is not lowered and used only as weekend toy. Thanks.
Your choice of wheels is a recipe for disaster ! At a minimum, you will have to run a 7mm spacer just to move the Techart wheel out enough to be in the same position as your stock set-up. However, you will lose approximately 12mm of clearance toward the strut. No matter how you choose to manipulate the off-set of those wheels with spacers, you are destine to have clearance problems either with the fender lip or strut. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for those wheels ?

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-08-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #4

You're going to need alot more than a 7mm spacer...likely 15mm minimum, then you will probably be hitting the outer fender well, unless your car sits in offroad ride height.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #5

Only solution to make those work would be spacers (as previously mentioned) to get them away from your struts and then you would have to roll your fenders to keep your tires from scraping on the outside.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #6

When I ran an 18x10 ET40 rear I BARELY had clearance to the fender. I think with a 10.5 wheel rolling the fenders would not be enough. Only thing I can think of that may work, would be to go to a coilover and run less spacer to get the wheel further inside, but you may run into other suspension bits then.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's going to be worth it to try to make this work. For the record, I run 18x10 ET45 with 265/35-18 and it is perfect.