Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Poor man's pedal extension

I'm going to Autobahn Country Club tomorrow with the PCA. I had a problem last time with my driving shoes and hitting both pedals when trying to heel & toe. My foot kept missing the gas or slipping off the brakes. So I knew I had to decide whether I wanted to drive with my gym shoes on, or risk my foot slipping off the brake. Paying > $100 for custom pedals isn't in the cards right now. Then I thought, "Hmm. I wonder if I could make my own pedals extension." So last night and today I worked on it, and here's the result.

I had some thin aluminum (about 1/8" thick) and a chunk of thick aluminum (about 1/4" or 3/8" thick). So I made a plate of the thin metal with an extension. However, because of the way the Boxster pedal is designed (it's pretty thick) I thought that plate would be too far toward the firewall, and I'd still have trouble hitting it. So I cut a piece of the thick stuff and screwed it onto the top of the thin piece. It turned out that the thick piece was almost as thick as the pedal, but not quite. I ran some alloy machine screws through the pedal with the nuts on the back of the thin plate. Then I screwed the thick piece on from the back so you can't see the screws. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. It works very well. The only thing I want to do to it is either anodize it black, or paint it black so it's not so conspicuous.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Some of the Hot Shoes in SoCal have done the same thing and it works well. Better than a pedal kit IMHO.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:41 AM   #3

You did a very nice job on that mod. My factory rubber cover had a crack I didn't know about, when I installed these it made a world of difference in shifting. Now my foot stays when I depress the clutch as the Aluminum is knurled and really bites the bottom of any shoe.

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
just leave it as is till u get pedals.
paint will rub off

good job tho, looks like it will do the job
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #5

The stock pedals work absolutely fine for my ankle (I roll the foot to blip). Everytime I instruct in a car with pedal extensions, they always seem to get in the way.

I guess what solution works for each, is the best.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
just leave it as is till u get pedals.
paint will rub off

good job tho, looks like it will do the job
Not if I use POR-15 first, then paint over it. The paint might come off, but the POR won't.

I did do the job really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
The stock pedals work absolutely fine for my ankle (I roll the foot to blip). Everytime I instruct in a car with pedal extensions, they always seem to get in the way.

I guess what solution works for each, is the best.
I have a narrow foot. This worked so well that I never noticed it once today. I didn't have a problem downshifting at all. As I said though, last time I did have a problem.

I'm guessing you weren't there today, or were you? We have to say, "Hi" at one of these events.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote