Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #1

Front control arm boot replacement

I was in the process of removing the hub carrier to change the bearings and found that one of the front control arm boot has a tiny tear. I can tell it is fairly recent and it is still packed with grease. Does anyone know if this is a replacement part or has Porsche in its eternal pursuit of economy on the boxster made it an integral part of the control arm (as I have heard before).

Mike

Old 06-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #2

If it is a recent tear and there is still plenty of good grease in the ball joint, then you can simply patch up the tear with some rubber cement. You'll get many more years of service out of the joint once the boot is patched. If it were my car, I'd patch the tear and not think twice about it. A bicycle tube repair kit should be all you need to do the fix.

As far as replacement goes, I believe the ball joints are pressed in and require special tools to remove and refit new joints. Not something you can do in your home garage.

You can buy rebuilt control arms now for a good price (<$150). Factory new replacements are around $300.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #3

Mike,

Where did you get the nice PORSCHE windshield banner? I have been looking for one like that. Thanks.

Mark
MarkOfZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkOfZero
Mike,

Where did you get the nice PORSCHE windshield banner? I have been looking for one like that. Thanks.

Mark
I made it at work. I have some spare in silver. Just PM me your address and I will send you one if you'd like.

Last edited by 986FortyEight; 06-07-2009 at 04:58 AM.
986FortyEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
If it is a recent tear and there is still plenty of good grease in the ball joint, then you can simply patch up the tear with some rubber cement. You'll get many more years of service out of the joint once the boot is patched. If it were my car, I'd patch the tear and not think twice about it. A bicycle tube repair kit should be all you need to do the fix.

As far as replacement goes, I believe the ball joints are pressed in and require special tools to remove and refit new joints. Not something you can do in your home garage.

You can buy rebuilt control arms now for a good price (<$150). Factory new replacements are around $300.

thanks Lucky!. Sounds like a good idea. Fortunately, a true family of Porsche enthusiats lives down the road from me and since all their boxsters are spec with GT3 control arms I was able to buy one of their old standard ones for $50 (they are really nice).
Meanwhile I found that according to the bentley the boot is not serviceable and the whole arm must be replaced.
I will feel better around the track with a clean boot.

Mike
Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #6

Just talking to my Father in law about this same problem and he also suggested to epoxy repair the boot and he also said you could heat up the boot an mold the hot rubber inot itself. I plan on trying one of these two methods vs a change for now.

60drvr is offline   Reply With Quote