Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 03:45 AM   #1

Guage trim rings

If anyone has a set of trim rings on black faced guages, I'd appreciate a few posted pics, especially form several feet away. I'm thinking seriously about this addition but wonder how these will look with an otherwise stock dashboard. Trim is nice but don't want it to look gaudy. There is not much alumium in a stock car (shift knob and door handles).

Thanks, Bob

Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 AM   #2

Picked this up off Renntech.org...
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:18 AM   #3

IMO those rings are distracting on the black face gauges... when I'm driving fast I just want to glance at the red needle in the middle...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the photo.....good find.
However I'd still like to see a few shots from a distance or angles. Also the flash used over-emphasizes the rings which ties into ekam's point about distraction, which is an excellent point.

I've also thought about the white or silver faces that costs more like $170. Lotsa $ for a color change that I may not like after installed.

Bob
Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #5

i have a base with all black gauges. i've seen several photos of those trim rings...I was tempted to get a set, but all the pics I've seen - they color of the rings looks more silvery/chrome NOT silver like the interior trim on your door pulls or shifter...

to me, the chromey look is tacky.

I also read a thread here somwhere where a person who bought/installd them said the same thing - the color was off. I also recall that they affix with glue or double sided tape and they don't stay on perfectly.

if it were me - I'd pass on them. all black looks just fine. if i was going to spend money to update my interior, I might do a painted center console, maybe pedals, or something else liek that.... those trim rings look like a good way to waste money....

the color, to me, just looks "off".
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i have a base with all black gauges. i've seen several photos of those trim rings...I was tempted to get a set, but all the pics I've seen - they color of the rings looks more silvery/chrome NOT silver like the interior trim on your door pulls or shifter...

to me, the chromey look is tacky.

I also read a thread here somwhere where a person who bought/installd them said the same thing - the color was off. I also recall that they affix with glue or double sided tape and they don't stay on perfectly.

if it were me - I'd pass on them. all black looks just fine. if i was going to spend money to update my interior, I might do a painted center console, maybe pedals, or something else liek that.... those trim rings look like a good way to waste money....

the color, to me, just looks "off".
I wrote to Suncoast with a few question before you posted. This was their reply:

Bob,
The benefit of the $99.95 kit is that it will match the other silvers inside the car. I’ll admit I like the powder coated kit better, it reminds me of the 550 edition Boxster/40th anniversary Carrera. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks again!

Ric Knab

****************************************************.com

So, it's still iffy. Perhaps some additional input will help. My interior is light gray. I'd be happy with that color on the rings and the aluminum is failrly close.

Bob
Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #7

I have a set I bought from Maxspeed that I only have installed for a day. I used tape and not glue. $50 and they're yours. PM me if you want em and pics.
I also have some white gauges you could install too.
Chris
Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here you go-

If you install them, use double sided 3M automotive emblem tape, not glue. Glue will bleed out thru the rings and make a mess of your gauges. The 3M emblem tape will keep the rings on solid, without mess.

I've had em on for years, and love em. They look cool at night too, cause when your cabin is all dark and you have the light emanating from the gauges, some of the light bounces off the rings.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 06-05-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I have a set similar if not identical to Boxtaboy's. They have a matte finish and look as if they could be OE IMO.

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #10

ddb.......... I like the matte finish. Where did you get these? $?
Old 06-06-2009, 05:32 AM   #11
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Bobiam,

I bought them on eBay back during April 2005 from Brandywine Porsche for $105.

I attached them with clear silicone adhesive which worked great. A little adhesive did squeeze out but it wiped right up without any residue.

I don't find them distracting at all and think they dress up the cluster nicely.

Best of luck.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #12

i had my lenses fixed and the idiot got super glue on the inside of it, is there any way i can fix the lenses??
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #13

in those pictures, I actually like it.

boxtaboy - yours looks cool. the color looks VERY close to OEM.

the one's I had seen and NOT liked had more of a reflective/chrome finish which I felt did NOT work well - thes pics posted above look more matte and MUCH better.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #14
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
in those pictures, I actually like it.

boxtaboy - yours looks cool. the color looks VERY close to OEM.

the one's I had seen and NOT liked had more of a reflective/chrome finish which I felt did NOT work well - thes pics posted above look more matte and MUCH better.
Thanks. Yeah, mine are matte, not chrome finish. To me, they don't at all look out of place in the car, and before, the all black gauges I had without any trim rings looked just kinda too plain and boring to me, so these nicely touched things up. I had an all black interior, and wanted to add more silver/aluminum to spruce things up a bit. YMMV.

Nuther pic in a darker setting:

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #15

Yeah , these are good shots of both cars above. Today I was on a PCA tour and saw a few S models with rings on white guages and they really don't look as good (in my personal opinion) as the rings on blace guages. So, I guess I gotta do it.
Thanks guys for making me poorer!!!!!!! LOL

Bob
Old 06-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
Yeah , these are good shots of both cars above. Today I was on a PCA tour and saw a few S models with rings on white guages and they really don't look as good (in my personal opinion) as the rings on blace guages. So, I guess I gotta do it.
Thanks guys for making me poorer!!!!!!! LOL

Bob

Well dang I was on that tour too! If I had only known I would have brought them. I had the 99 Box with the carbon fiber side intakes. That was a good tour. We took the long way home too.
Chris
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
Well dang I was on that tour too! If I had only known I would have brought them. I had the 99 Box with the carbon fiber side intakes. That was a good tour. We took the long way home too.
Chris
I saw that Boxster (recall the carbon intakes) but just while walking by.....don't think I got a good look at it. How come you aren't using the guages and rings yourself?

It was a great tour. Sorry I don't know who you are for sure. Are you the guy that has a plan to by an '09 or something like that? You were also on the VT tour a few weeks ago??

Bob
Old 06-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #18

I am the guy who is handling the CVR rallies. I was on the weekend tour as well which was also a great time.
Chris
Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #19

I installed the set that is identical to Boxtaboy's and ddb's shown above. PERFECT! Just what I wanted.
The light color does somewhat attract the driver's attn, so now I'm happy that I did not choose to do white or silver guage faces. This is enough color with the set of the black guage faces. I DID use the glue provided, but based on the warnings above, used only a few small droplets and had no problem with running. So thanks for the warning.

Thanks to the contributers to this thread, as I was able to make the right decision and am satisfied with the result.

Bob