Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #1

Weird noise shifting into 2nd + AC vent tightening

Hey all, I have two questions I want to ask.

First, lately when I am accelerating hard or downshifting fast going into 2nd (only 2nd) I hear this almost grinding noise and it won't let me shift into the gear. It only happens occasionally, and always when I'm trying to make a fast shift, any explanations?

Second, I want to tighten the two middle AC vents as they are getting loose, is there a way to do this easily or do I need to take out the plastic covering the entire center area including the stereo?

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:22 AM   #2

On the clutch question, I have a few ideas. It might be your shifting/driving style and you are not keeping the clutch pedal compressed enough as you're going to second gear. It could be a bit of cable stretch and adjusting the shift cable may help some. It could also be your synchro for 2nd is starting to go out. The synchro basically prepares the the next gear you select by matching the rpms of those gears. Think about two gears meshing together spinng the same speeds, then imagine two gear meshing together and one is spinning a whole lot faster than the other( you get grindage.)
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
Hey all, I have two questions I want to ask.

First, lately when I am accelerating hard or downshifting fast going into 2nd (only 2nd) I hear this almost grinding noise and it won't let me shift into the gear. It only happens occasionally, and always when I'm trying to make a fast shift, any explanations?

Second, I want to tighten the two middle AC vents as they are getting loose, is there a way to do this easily or do I need to take out the plastic covering the entire center area including the stereo?
do you blip the throttle when down shifting? would a broken front engine mount be contributing? sorry, not answers but more questions.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #4

[QUOTE=Lordblood]Hey all, I have two questions I want to ask.

If this happens at low rpms (below 2000) I would change the trans-oil have a look to the tread: Transmission Issues at end of Warranty.
Keep in mind if it’s a 5 speed transmission you need 2,25liter (2,37 US qt) do not fill until it overflows the fill hole, the oil level must be 7/16 inch below the fill hole.

If it also happens above 2000 rpm I would have a look to your fwd engine mount. It’s a known issue that the rubber in the mount tends to go bad on cars I hot climates after some years and round 50.000 miles due the heat in the engine compartment.

Best regards Andy
mustangpix911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01box
do you blip the throttle when down shifting? would a broken front engine mount be contributing? sorry, not answers but more questions.
I think he meant to say upshifting. He said he has grinding when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear under hard accel.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #6

i vote for checking the engine mounts

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote