Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #1

986 to M3...anyone else?

Hello all!
Just wanted to check back in as I spent much of the last 3 years learning from you all and I do miss the need to see what's going on here...
...but I had to leave the community to get something a little more practical(4 seats) as my boxster was needed as my primary vehicle after recently losing a company car option in a sales position.

That said I wanted to hear from others who have gone from their P-car to an M3...thoughts, observations...or for that matter, I would also be interested to hear from anyone who may have gone back to a Boxster from their M.

I have only had mine for a few months now but one thing that surprised me was the handling characteristics...
I was certain it would not come close to the ole Boxster but it really has done exceptionally well(on the street at least). Not sure yet if its better but I know I will not see the end of its grip on the street.

The thing that was not a surprise was the power output from a stock 04 vert...just a ton of fun at 333hp!

Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
Fred Demara

This might have to do with age, but I much preferred by 02 Boxster S to my e46 M3.

The M is much heavier, less balanced, and much, much more harsh over bumpy roads.

Because the engine in the M is pushed so far back, I always sat sideways, because the transmission firewall pushed my right leg about 2 inches in. It caused so much pain driving over any driver over 20 minutes, I sold it.

The Boxster handles better, is more refined and precise, and is much more comfortable.....

One last thing...my M3 (after 80k miles) was still on it's original engine. My Boxster lost two.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the response...that's too bad that you had the leg thing going...its basically a deal breaker when a driving position causes pain(I have not had that problem).

...but I don't see the 986 advantage in the handling yet but that is exactly why I asked here because I have found that it is already hard to compare the two without side by side testing...
...also the ride for me may simply seem improved since I went from an 80+K 98 boxster with 19s to a 35K 04 M3 that drives like its right out of the dealership lot...

...and as far as the engine is concerned I am covered this time around with a good warranty so I am not as concerned with RMS and the like as was the case with the boxster(but two engines is tough to take)

Thanks again for the feedback Fred and continued good luck with the current engine.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #4

I went back to the boxster after owning a z3 ///M. the ///m had more power but i liked the feel and the drive of the boxster more. handling of the boxster is much better than the ///m that already had a modified suspension.. both are nice cars though..
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #5

I had an '02 M3 vert prior to the my base boxster. obviously, the M3 is a lot more powerful, but I felt it was a bit portly, too much body roll, etc. it's apples and oranges to the extent that the m3 vert weighs a lot more. I found the M3 to be quite refined with a very nice ride (and I had the 19' bbs LMs). in short, two very different cars with their distinct plusses and minuses. I prefer my boxster, particularly because of it's handling and overall feel.
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Fred Demara

I took both cars to the track..I usually do a track event once every 3 weeks. Hands down, the Boxster is better in the corners...at speed, I could feel the M3's rear end "lift" and want to kick out...this never happened in the Boxster...much lower center of gravity, much lighter car.

I don't think you can go wrong with either...if you've got a warranty, I'd vote Boxster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxter
...but I don't see the 986 advantage in the handling yet but that is exactly why I asked here because I have found that it is already hard to compare the two without side by side testing....
Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #7

I fully understand the whole comparison is apples to organges(and the Z3 is a closer kin) but this is exactly the feedback I was looking for...
...and I also know I may be drinking a bit too much of the BMW koolaid right now to fully appreciate the obvious differences....IE: boxsters lower center of gravity etc....but it does feel tight as can be with no noticable body roll...now I'm wondering if the previous owner had any suspension work done although it doesn't appear to be lower than stock...

thanks again fellas