Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #1

Dash Speakers - recommendations?

Any suggestions for replacing the dash speakers?

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #2

You won't really be able to just replace the dash speakers, rather you'll need a set of component speakers. Your door speakers are currently 5 1/4's, though you can easily install 6 1/2's into the doors which is highly recommended. After that, you need to decide if you want a 2-way (mid-bass and tweeter) or 3-way (mid-bass, midrange, and tweeter) system- most go for a 2-way and put the tweeter up in the dash.

The easiest way to do this is to install the crossovers (which separate which frequency range goes to which speakers) in the front trunk, and then re-use the factory wiring.

Note that to do this, you will have to replace the factory amp (which is pathetic anyway), which depending upon what year your car is, can be either very simple or less simple. If you've gone this far, I would also replace the factory head unit with something newer, which will have far more capability that just playing CDs or the radio and sound better. That said, you can pick up a decent head unit, 2 channel amp, and 6 1/2" components for well under a grand, and have about a 1000% improvement in sound quality and user friendliness in your car.

Unfortunately, when you start getting into upgrading audio on most newer cars, it often becomes an "all or nothing" type project as the factory systems are all designed from the ground up and are proprietary to the specific car they are installed into.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #3

but there's one more problem:
the dash OEM speakers are non-standard size (they are a tad wider, well's it's Porsche, so what do you expect ), so either you fabricate or your own adapter (in my case it was lots of glue from a glue gun) or there is also a guy who sells these adapters on eBay
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #4

More info then....

When I say the base sound system, I really mean the base sound system:

2001 Boxster
- No amp
- No door speakers
- No CD
- It is the cassette player and the two dash speakers - that is it.

The only thing more amazing than someone ordering a car this way - is that after they drove it they never upgraded it. (All the high fidelity of a holiday inn alarm clock.)
Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #5

I don't think that is so amazing...I have speakers all over in my Box (dash, doors, rear) and don't even use them. When I drive, I listen to the engine and probably wouldn't have bothered checking the upgrade box on the order ticket.

But that's just me (I don't use the radio much in my daily driver either...peace and quiet in that environment works for me).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #6

I had the same set up as you. You can see what I did in this thread.

Finally got my Stereo installed

Dave S.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:26 AM   #7

jmatta...

Well if you want to get rid of the "dead weight" in your rear speakers...just let me know.