Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #1

Oil Change from Hell and Screw-on Filter

Okay, after much research and deliberation I decided to go with 5W-40 Motul 300V (not on Porsche approved list) and LN Engineering's screw-on filter adapter with a high-flow Napa Gold filter recommended and provided by LN.

I also bought LN's oil test sample kit for $25. Therein lay the problem. My usual doubled-up 2X8 lift solution did not leave enuf space to get the sample bottle out from between the engine and my oil catch pan.

Sooo, (and here it goes downhill) I decided to yank the bottle out and accept some oil spillage. BAD IDEA! I knocked the catch pan out of reach. Despite my vile language the oil continued to flow. Revise that to HOT oil continued to flow.

I finally got the pan in place and went for the cat litter which was AWOL. Had to ask spousal unit to pick some up on the way home and, of course, admit why.

After 10 lbs of cat litter, the rest went well. The adapter went on as advertised and same for the filter. Also replaced the engine oil plug with LN's aluminum plug with magnet in center.

Someone else posted a notable engine quietness with group 5 oil, which I discounted. But there really is much less clatter at idle.

I'll post any problems or additional benefits later after more experience.

By the way, I bought half the stuff from Jake Raby (Flat Six) and half directly from LN in order to support both their efforts to support our M96 engines.

I switched from Blackstone to LN to contribute to the database Charles Navarro and Jake share. Data are in different format from Blackstone, but I believe the database is important and URGE all of you M96 owners to do the same.

Charles says he is doing everything he can to keep his (American) suppliers working, and I support this effort also.

Note: I have no affiliation with Charles or Jake, but admire both.

PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 05-26-2009 at 10:12 AM.
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #2

Motul Cans

I forgot to mention one other slight problem. Motul comes in 2 liter cans with no pouring tube. No big deal, but after opening the can the slightest squeeze of the can pushes oil. I was certain I'd spill it before it was in position over the filler tube and my funnel.

So I confiscated a 2 quart translucent plastic liquid container with a pouring lip from the kitchen and poured the oil into in one qt at a time. Then into the funnel at the filler tube.

Another problem is that the cans have no pressure relief so the flow is not smooth. Next time I'll use a can opener to make an opening opposite the pouring hole to provide pressure relief and enable smooth pouring.

By the 4th can I was pretty proficient at not squeezing and at pouring smoothly, but still continued to transfer to plastic container. This also facilitated getting an exact fill because the container was translucent AND graduated in quarts/pints/cups.
PCA since 1970
Old 05-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #3

Oil "cans"...... wow, I haven't seen those... well let's just say for a while.
I still have a can opener in my tool box from when oil came in cans. I never did get an oil spicket that you force through the top... my dad still has that in his garage.

And one trick is to piece the other end of the can (top and bottom) to allow air in as the oil pours out. And use a funnel. I use to have one big enough to hold a quart.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #4

They are not the old cylindrical cans, they are 2 ltr oblong rectangular solids. And made of recyclable metal. Easy to pack and ship without a lot of dead space.

The pouring hole is opened by pulling up on an inner plastic pop-top that is resealable by screwing the outer cap back on. I still have some oil left in the last can

And yep, next time I'll be popping a hole opposite the pouring end.

My 6" diameter funnel did not hold a qt, but it was fine for the job. I did not want to pour too fast anyway.
PCA since 1970
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

Mike, a lot of the European oil manufacturers (Motul, Repsol, Pentosin, etc) supply thir oil in 2 l metal containers and there's a definate knack to pouring the contents, as you tend to squeeze the metal sides which flex easily and spill the contents. The trick is to hold the can on the narrow side which flexes less.
I'll be interested how you find the Motul product in the Porsche - I used it a lot in my motorcycles with excellent results. I believe Motul (like Redline) make their own synthetic basestock & sell to other oil companies.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #6

"The adapter went on as advertised and same for the filter. Also replaced the engine oil plug with LN's aluminum plug with magnet in center."

I did my car with 15k miles on the clock, as well; used a Mobil 1 (M1-107) filter which the local auto parts store had in stock. Could not believe the strength of the magnetic drain plug!

Next up is my 160* low temp t-stat which is sitting in the box waiting for me.

I appreciate what Jake and Charles are doing and take their expert opinion seriously (I do not use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, even though I change it around every 3k miles).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Engine Surgeon

Thanks for your order and the compliments!!! We are busting our asses and have a ton of stuff in the pipeline so compliments really help us to know it's being appreciated!!!

Did the spin on filter adaptor install easily???
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #8

Spin on adapter went on very easily. In fact, I removed it and replaced it just because I thought this can't be that simple and thought I must have the torque wrong.

Thanks again...looking forward to seeing what's in the works!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #9

Install was duck soup. I appreciated the extra o-rings, but did not need them.

I join jmatta in anticipation of what comes next!
PCA since 1970
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #10

filter

This is good to hear. Last night, I ordered the "oil change kit" (adapter, filter & drain plug) and 4 quarts of Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 from LN Engineering's website. I have already received an email with the UPS tracking number. That's fast! I am going with the MX4T 50/50 mix because I already have many quarts of Mobil 1 0w40 on the shelf.

* 9x7 short shifter * Pedro's enthusiast mount * Carrera Ltw. wheels * Stebro bypass pipes
* M030 coming soon! *

Last edited by Blue-S; 05-28-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Blue-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #11

Update to Oil Change from Hell (Post #1)

After dumping oil all over the garage floor I cleaned the worst up with rags and paper towels and thru cat litter all over the remaining oil. Told my wife I'd have to come back and grind the litter into oil with my shoe to get it up.

Well yesterday, after letting it sit for a coupla weeks, I went back to finish the job.
Surprise surprise, Sgt Carter! Gollee! The kitty litter had sucked up all the remaining oil, so I just shoveled it into a bag for disposal.

Duck soup!

Yeah, there is still a stain, but I'm hoping a trip to Lowes for driveway cleaner will minimize that.
PCA since 1970
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #12

Thumbs up Quality Machining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Spin on adapter went on very easily. In fact, I removed it and replaced it just because I thought this can't be that simple and thought I must have the torque wrong.
I meant to comment on the installation tool included with the adapter. The machining is so precise that the tool did not readily separate from the adapter when I opened the package.

Reminded me of the metal cubes a mechanical engineering prof used to demo cohesion. The faces of the cubes were so precisely machined that they "stuck" together like magnets with no adhesive whatsoever.

That is quality machine work. Exact fit with no wiggle or play!
PCA since 1970
Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #13

I bought the Porsche tool for the oil cartridge changes so I'm sticking with the water filter looking Mahle units.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #14

I own the Porsche tool and it fits the Mobil 1 M1-107 filter perfectly.

You think LN had that it mind?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:

I guess, I change my oil and filter much sooner than Porsche or any other source says to. I doubt any failure of my thus far perfectly running, crossed fingers 2.5 is going to be related to my oil filter selection.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 AM   #16

Quote:

Wasn't my intention, but I did choose a filter that would have as close to the original proportions to the original housing, so I must have gotten it close!

Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote