Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 AM   #1

Maf

Hello boxster fellow ,I like to know where can i get MAF in a good price ?should i stick with the original or after market part's ?

911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 AM   #2

New MAF can cost anywhere from $220 online to $375 at a dealer. I personally would stick with OEM/Bosch. From what my mechanic tells me and what I have ready in the past install should be relatively easy yourself, but you'll need s T20 anti-tamper Torx bit to remove the two screws that secure the MAF.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #3

I had my car in the shop last year and ended up having the MAF replaced. The shop I took my car to advised getting one from the dealership . It was a bit more expensive ($260) but not prohibitively and the reason they advised doing this was because of the 2 yr warranty on Porsche OEM parts. If I ever have a MAF issue within 2 years I can easily take it back with my receipt and they would exchange it.

I felt the tradeoff in price was worth it as MAFs are one of those components that can perfectly fine out of the box and work indefinitely or jacked up out of the box and/or fail quickly.

Just something to consider.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
mtm

Have you tried cleaning it? Mine kept throwing codes so I took it out and cleaned it real well with parts cleaner and then blew compressed air on it. I haven't had the CEL come back on since.

Might be worth trying a cleaning before replacing it.

Mike
mtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #5

Thx for all the reply guy appericiate very much for the answer .this is how it happen.I have replaced 2 of the before cat o2 sensor .after replaced them they idle very smooth ,dirve it for 50km CEL came back on again ,than i reset CEL ,drive it again for about 50KM back on again CEL P-1128,P-1130 ,at first i don't know where is the MAF locate at therwise i should check it at the first place.than i found where the MAF is ,so i have disconnect the wire and the batt back after a minutes and start the car ,start very will no rough idle from 1000-5000 RPM very responsive no problem on idle.So now put back the MAF wire back in start the car very rough idle i have try this repeatly with no luck ,so than i have also try cleaning it with electrical wire cleaner twice and air blow it no luck again .this is a 97 boxster ,i have no way of knowing has the previous owner have change it .I doubt it .for the very last time i have try again unplug the wire and back on again ,to my kknowledge it sound like the MAF .But i wand u guy who been throught this with more experiance with this problem ,please guide me throught it .could this be other problem given the wrong signal to MAF? or with this symtom i have mantion definate be the MAF
Old 05-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #6

I am having a hard time understanding what you have done so far with your Boxster.
If I am reading this correctly, you have done the following so far:

You have replaced the Oxygen Sensors before the first catalytic converters, and tried resetting the codes, but the CEL comes on after 50km every time.

You have disconnected the MAF from your car, and the car then starts very easily, and is very responsive between 1k rpms and 5k rpms.

You have tried cleaning the MAF - are you using electrical cleaner, or actual MAF cleaner?
Try using actual MAF cleaner if you used something else.

Here's something to try.
Keep the MAF disconnected, and clear all the codes.
Drive your car for 50 to 100km in that condition, and see what CEL codes you get this time. If you don't get the 1128 and 1130 this time, then you probably just need to replace the MAF, and should be fine after that.

Also, if you can, let us know what the part number on your MAF is.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #7

Garage
Did some checking on OEM replacement MAS;

1. $188 http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/air_mass_meter/porsche/boxster.html?gclid=CK32xY322JoCFQ-5FQodtExy3Q

2. $195 http://www.partswerks.com/mass-air-flow-sensor-p-97.html

3. $199 http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/porsche-boxster/air-flow-meter/

4. $198 http://mindovermotorsports.zoovy.com/product/99660612300/Bosch_Mass_Air_Flow_Sensor__Boxster_9799.html

Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #8

Been through it, just replace the MAF, all will be fine.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #9

I have unplug the MAF connector and drove for 65KM ,seem the only code CEL came on P-0102 and P0112 .

Last edited by 911sc; 05-25-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecutter
I am having a hard time understanding what you have done so far with your Boxster.
If I am reading this correctly, you have done the following so far:

You have replaced the Oxygen Sensors before the first catalytic converters, and tried resetting the codes, but the CEL comes on after 50km every time.

You have disconnected the MAF from your car, and the car then starts very easily, and is very responsive between 1k rpms and 5k rpms.

You have tried cleaning the MAF - are you using electrical cleaner, or actual MAF cleaner?
Try using actual MAF cleaner if you used something else.

Here's something to try.
Keep the MAF disconnected, and clear all the codes.
Drive your car for 50 to 100km in that condition, and see what CEL codes you get this time. If you don't get the 1128 and 1130 this time, then you probably just need to replace the MAF, and should be fine after that.

Also, if you can, let us know what the part number on your MAF is.

BC.
this is the MAF BOSCH 996 606 123.00
Old 05-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #11

Just wanted to comfirm before i buying the MAF.