Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #1

CDR23 Troubles

I've read about the nefarious CDR23 and have even experienced the "on-but-no-sound" problem myself a few times with the CDR23 on my 03 986s.

However, I'm wondering if anyone's ever seen the radio continuously cycle power itself. Powers up, reads "Porsche" but before any audio comes out or any other text is displayed the unit turns itself off and back on repeatedly. I can also hear what sounds like the CD drive adjusting (there is no CD in the drive) every time the unit powers up. This first happened to me about a week ago and I parked, pulled and reinstalled fuse D8 and it seemed like the problem was resolved. However, the problem occurred again a few days ago and the fuse trick no longer seems to solve my problem.

I do have PSM as well as the Bose option. I tried pulling the fuse for the sound package (D9) but didn't see any improvements in my situation. Any other suggestions or should I chalk this up to a dead CDR23?

Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #2

Yes, I have experienced the cycling reset and CD search you describe, and I too have been on the verge of replacing the entire system -- several times -- but then it springs back to life. Often the no-sound radio problems are resolved by restarting the car; when a problem persists for more than two days or it gets into a funky reset mode, my no-fail solution is to pull the battery and let the car sit for ten minutes. I don't bother with the fuse -- no, I go straight to the heart.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #3

I think the CDR-23 is possessed or haunted. Call Father Karras.

Mine quit once. Returned on restart and has been fine since. Maybe you are playing to much acid rock?
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 AM   #4

too much.....OR NOT ENOUGH?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:10 AM   #5

I had gone out with intention of unhooking the battery and decided to just pop in the fuse just to see and of course the radio worked. No obvious reason why it decides to work after not working all weekend.

I hate problems like that