Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #1

Ignition switch chiming

The last couple of times after I shut the car off and pulled the key out of the ignition, it would start to chime like the key is left in the ignition, or the headlights were left on. I am able to stop the chiming by pressing on the ignition switch key opening. What can I do to correct this problem? MY 99. Thanks Jim

jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #2

Jim, on these cars all kinds of weird things happen when the ignition switch is going bad. And they do go bad. A replacement is cheap enough...about $10 from ********************************Az. I have never replaced one but I understand that it is easy enough. A search will probably turn up directions for changing it out. Good luck.

Norm
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #3

jrblackbox,
Try this link...

http://industryfigure.com/berkeley/Porsche/ignitionswitch.htm

Like Norminhouston mentioned, ************************************************************ has it for $8.78.
Taking the seat out helps a lot.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #4

ignition switch

Mike, Thanks for the link, that's what I needed, next week I will pick up that switch and attempt it. Jim
Old 05-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrblackbox
Mike, Thanks for the link, that's what I needed, next week I will pick up that switch and attempt it. Jim
Jim, while it does give you more access to the switch when you remove the seat, it really is not necessary. Take a look at Pedrosgarage instructions I posted below.

When you remove your seat, there is always the slight chance that you either strip a bolt, or forget to take the ignition key out, and your airbag light ends up going on, so try it without taking the seat out first. Pedro has replaced a bunch of them and does not recommend removing the seat.

Instructions found here:
http://pedrosgarage.com/Site%203/Replace%20Ignition%20Switch%20%20%20.html

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-24-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #6

Thanks

Rich, Thanks. Yeah, I was going to try to do it without taking the seat out, I figured that I would be able to contort myself and get under the dash. I will use a small stool to make manuvering around a little easier. Jim