Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #1

Unhappy AMP less?

I was under the impression the 4X40 amp was stock in the base 2001 - apparently not. As I am Amp less.

So right now - I just have the very weak dash speakers. So at a minimum I would like to replace the dash speakers and add the rear spearker kit (Porsche or PNP).

Logical questions (at least for someone who hasn't done aftermaket speakers since a Clarion install in a 1980 LeMans) is:

- recommended amp
- recommended dash speakers
- recommended rear speaker kit
- can door sepakers be added (with minimal effort/expense)
- ease and cost will be considered - no pimp my ride type projects

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I can't help with recommendations on speakers or an amp. But for the dash speakers, you might look at the adapter rings on eBay for $50 so that you don't have to modify your speaker grills to accept new speakers.
Sunset Imports has the rear speaker kit for $130, and they you can upgrade the speakers if you want.
If you don't mind not having an OEM setup an audio shop could install door speakers fairly easily, but if you want it to be OEM you will have to replace the door panels which could cost a few hundred dollars.
-Rick