Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #1

Thumbs up Preowned Boxster Advice

Hello I am new to this forum as of yesterday, I have wanted a boxster since 99 and have not gotten to it due to practicality reasons. I currently own a 01 C4, a Cayenne, and a Ducati 750SS. As i have already bought 2 porsches in the past couple of months, I am short on cash, plus I want to do some mods, so I am looking to get a good boxster with very low mileage for somewhere around $20K. I hope to have patience and wait till I see a very good deal. Now I know 97-99 have 2.5liters 201hp, and 00-04 have 2.7 217hp with variocam. I would prefer to get a 2.7 but if I find a clean 2.5, I will probably jump on that. Now I know that by looking at the last number of the VIN I can tell if it was made in stuttgart or in Finland. Should I be concerned if it was made in Finland? Maybe some of you guys have some advice in some problkems to llok out for when looking at a boxster. I would also like to tell whoever Jfmillr that your car lloks out of hand with those gemballa side skirts with air channel and doing that Gemballa rear bumper with the integrated exhaust in the back. Did you get that GT2 look front bumper from nrauto? anyways it looks out of hand and when I do get a boxster apart from an intake and fabspeed bypass pipes whats next to do on my list is that GT2 llok front bumper, however I have seen it with techart side skirts and I like those too, cant decide, but I gotta get the car first and also finish all my mods on my other porsches. Anyways your advice on finding a used boxster will be greatly apreciated, should I look for one with under 30k miles? What are the raclls on those first year models, and are there any common problems with these you guys have experienced. Thanks

DIAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:07 PM   #2

a couple of pics to share since I am new

01 C4 w mods, still more work to follow, Ducati and neighbors F-car, and My cayenne only has a turbo rear valence and exhaus, but I will post pics as soon as I finish it off with the turbo front and either gemballa or techeart lower fron valence, will post pics when it is ready.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:32 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to phrankandbeanz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIAZ
01 C4 w mods, still more work to follow, Ducati and neighbors F-car, and My cayenne only has a turbo rear valence and exhaus, but I will post pics as soon as I finish it off with the turbo front and either gemballa or techeart lower fron valence, will post pics when it is ready.
This is just my opinion

Get a 2002 or newer because the rear window on the convert is glass instead of plastic. The plastic has been known to crack and eventually break. The 2.7 engine feels a lot diff in my opinion in comparison to the 2.5. 2.7 has more get up and go in the midrange. Or at least enought to feel a difference between the 2 engines. Go drive and you will know what I mean. The boxster, has been known to have rms problems throughout all years. Take the boxster that you are thinking about purchasing and have it checked out by a certified mechanic.

here is a pic of my 2004 2.7
phrankandbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:42 PM   #4

Mine is 97 with 25k with no problem at all, hum...... I'm actually thinking of selling it. I'll let you know if I do want to sell it.
tdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 AM   #5

Hot 996 man, good luck in finding a nice Boxster to go with it.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:10 AM   #6

Very pretty 99. Great wheels!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:55 AM   #7

Tdog let me know if you are selling that silver 97 with the lightweight carrera wheels, I have heard something about rms leaks in boxsters, what is an rms is that a gasket probrem it has, does it blow out the whole engine? How much more powerful does the 2.7 feel over the 2.5 engine?
Thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Make the picture smaller....that's too much scrolling I feel like I'm reading the Dead Sea scrolls