Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #1

Brake Wear Light On

Washed my car Sat afternoon and the first time I stepped on the brake my BRAKE WEAR light came on and stayed on. Checked to see if the wear indicators had popped out from the water pressure but they were all in (did a visual thru the wheels - didn't take the wheels off). Next time I took it out was Sun evening. On the trip out the light came on. On the trip back it stayed off. Drove in to work this morning - no light. Drove home from work and the light was back on.

I put Ferrados on back in Jul. Have 6k on them. Didn't change the wear indicators. I'm not hard on brakes, no autox or track time. The pedal is strong, no grinding noises when I brake. I doubt the pads are worn out.

I saw some past threads about the light coming on mysteriously after washing. Could there be h2o in the wear indicator hole that's causing the problem? It hasn't been warm the last few days, so it's possible the h2o hasn't evaporated (I do garage my car).

Any thoughts? Is this serious? Any and all $.02 worth greatly appreciated.

Terry

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #2

Hi,

Very possibly water in the connectors (1 or all). Unplug them and blow dry w/ compressed air, that should do it. If not, check for split insulation on the wire and/or for broken wire (though if the problem's intermittent they're probably OK). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Porschephile

Pad wear indicator light on??

This is the closest thread I could find related to my issue. I just replaced my brake pads in fact I replaced EVERYTHING related to brakes (rotors, pads rebuilt calipers and new hardware). I replaced the old wear indicators (which fell apart when I removed them from the pads) with new indicators. Not OEM but Pelican Parts told me they were the same as OEM in fact manufaxtured by the same supplier. The look identical to the old ones. Took the car out after reassembling everything to bed the new pads in. Everything went well except my pad wear indicator light came on? Any suggestions? Trying to sell the car so I can't have any lights on the dash. HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Very possibly water in the connectors (1 or all). Unplug them and blow dry w/ compressed air, that should do it. If not, check for split insulation on the wire and/or for broken wire (though if the problem's intermittent they're probably OK). Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomikaze
This is the closest thread I could find related to my issue. I just replaced my brake pads in fact I replaced EVERYTHING related to brakes (rotors, pads rebuilt calipers and new hardware). I replaced the old wear indicators (which fell apart when I removed them from the pads) with new indicators. Not OEM but Pelican Parts told me they were the same as OEM in fact manufaxtured by the same supplier. The look identical to the old ones. Took the car out after reassembling everything to bed the new pads in. Everything went well except my pad wear indicator light came on? Any suggestions? Trying to sell the car so I can't have any lights on the dash. HELP!
Best bet would be to look at the wires that the sensors connect to, and see if the wiring is damaged in any way, or if the connectors are loose/corroded.

The way the system works is that each sensor is a connection for positive.
When the sensors become exposed as the break pads wear away, the positive electricity gets grounded by the metal brake pads and rotors. That then causes the light to come on the dash because the circuit is complete.

If the wiring that connects to the sensors is damaged, then that also would complete the circuit, and turn on the light.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote