Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

Boxster Body kits?

Anyone know of a place where you can get just a "Lip" kit for the Boxster? I am looking for a Carbon Fiber or Poly kit that do not require a complete bumper replacment or side skirt replacment. I would be open to swaping the skits but prefer not to change out the bumpers. Really I just want to add some styling to the front lower bumper and lower rear bumper and a little somthin for the sides. Any recomendations?

Rekogniz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #2

I did a quick search on eBay and couldn't find it. There was someone on there that sold an add-on lower bumper lip like you're looking for. You can see a picture of it on Max Ferran's 996 in this thread:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374&highlight=996

That's the best looking option that I've seen.

Be aware though that this isn't necessarily a cheaper route to go. Look on eBay and you'll see complete bumpers for $400 to $1,200. This add-on lip was like $400. Plus you need to possibly do more body work to get the lip attached and smoothed out (it's fiberglass). I got a 996 GT3 full bumper for $400 and it's PU and required very little prep work before painting. With the lower lip add-on you're probably looking at the same cost in body work/paint as what the lip cost. So you might want to consider just going to a full bumper for not that much more - or in my case actually less.

Gemballa makes an add-on for the rear:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GEMBALLA-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S-REAR-GT-REAR-DIFFUSOR_W0QQitemZ170262992958QQcmdZViewItemQQptZM otors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item27a4771 83e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #3

As a new Boxster owner, my advice would be to wait a bit before throwing all sorts of mods at it.

There is a world of available mods out there, none of them cheap, and you haven't had time to disciover them all. Do some research before fixating on one type. You may want to do wheels, audio, interior, performance. Take some time to research all the options available to you.

Also, make sure the car is first well sorted mechanically. When were the fluids last changed? Polyrib belt? Have you tested the battery? Brakes? Tires? Maintenance and repair costs on the Boxster is not for the faint-hearted, and can have you quickly wishing you'd have waited on that body kit so you could have put the money where it was really needed.

There's really no point in having the best looking Boxster out there if it won't roll out of the driveway!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #4

Kirk,

how is the Gemballa rear diffuser different from our stock ones? I can't see a difference....
mjstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #5

you really don't want carbon fiber or fiberglass down there. The vibrations, a big ole' pot hole, will cause the paint or finish to crack then it looks like elephant skin. or one steep driveway while making a k turn or pulling into said driveway....crack.

I was trying to source the factory poly urethane lip spoiler for the MK1 GT3 ('99-01) but those are like tooth picks for the track guys. Hard to find because they destroy so many. And not cheap either. and of course, you need the GT3 bumper.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallion
Kirk,

how is the Gemballa rear diffuser different from our stock ones? I can't see a difference....

The bumper actually surrounds the exhaust pipes and there are two slit-like openings on each side of the exhaust pipes. That's certainly different than the stock rear bumper.

I've got one of those MK1 GT3 lower lip spoilers. I never knew they were so hard to get! I've never actually driven with it on though. The GT3 bumper is already lower than stock, so the lower lip spoiler would last maybe one week on public streets before being destroyed.

I have a PU lip on my 996's TechArt front bumper and was considering going to the CF lip that the previous owner used to run. I found out though that this $1,200 CF lip usually only lasts about 4 weeks before getting destroyed on public roads!!! Seems like an awful waste of money.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #7

I have the gt3 and lip spoiler, you have to be really careful with uneven driveways for sure! Rule is if it looks remotely like it might scrape, count on it as fact.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #8

Funny to see your post! I've been looking for something similar for weeks now, and no such luck. I want something simple to cover up some minor damage to my front spoiler and add a sportier look to the front at the same time.

I've got an '04 base model and there's just something missing in the middle... I really hate to swap out the front bumper cover though - its just not worth it! I've been kicking around the idea of seeing if the guys at bumperplugs.com might be able to come up with something as they do lots of custom work...

My car came with the rear diffusers built into the rear bumper cover - I guess it was stock, but they look great... too bad I can't say the same about the front!
ifmc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #9

I looked into a lip spoiler in c/f for my front bumper. Not only were they ridiculously expensive, a couple weeks later a Ferrari came in our shop with something similar. It had been scraped several times on driveways and such and looked horrible in spots. I've determined they're good if you have multiple cars or a show car but, I wouldn't spend the cash on a street/daily driver.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote