Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #1

Top operation-rear speaker box

I was wondering if there would be any problems in putting the top up/down if I removed the rear Bose sub encloser and the insulation on top of the engine cover. I would leave the actual engine cover on for safety reasons. The sub box and insulation have quite of bit of heft to them and it would be an easy way to shed some weight off the car for autocross etc, but I just want to make sure it wouldn't interfere with the operation of the top first. Thanks!

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #2

No problem

and if you are going to that kind of trouble, get a light battery if your class allows them. They make "just for racing" batteries. The middle ground is the Optima which is lighter than stock but powerful enough for every day use.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #3

Adam, would you possibly be selling your bose sub box? I am unable to go to the autocross next week however I will be going to the one in coles county. See ya there?

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #4

Mike, thanks for confirming. I was thinking it shouldn't be a problem, and it would be an easy way to shed an extra 40-50lbs. If I ditch the spare and add a lightweight battery that would be a good 100lbs off the car. Just waiting for my original battery to give out! lol

Tim, hey man sorry to hear you won't make it to Terra Haute next weekend, but I'm glad I'll be seeing you at the Coles County event. Are you gonna do the Rantoul autocross? If you do just watch out for the rough patches.... The surface is pretty beat up in areas. I'm holding on to the Bose sub and maybe just leaving it and a few things at home to save weight. Less than .4 seconds separated 1st-4th place at Parkland in A stock, so I'm looking for an edge. I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure it's all within SCCA guidelines and legal. Some new tires soon should help as well.

Last edited by Adam; 05-10-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #5

No I am going to be unable to make the rantoul autocross as well. You might want to consider pulling all your carpet and insulation out as well. That could sheed some decent weight.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnoice
No I am going to be unable to make the rantoul autocross as well. You might want to consider pulling all your carpet and insulation out as well. That could sheed some decent weight.
Yeah I hear you, but I don't wan't to do anything to drastic. The other things like the spare, rear sub, and engine insulator blanket can be removed in about 15 mintues and then just put them back on after the autcross. That would be an easy way to shed some decent weight off the car.