986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   A list of cars that wanted to race me in my first week of ownership (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20520-list-cars-wanted-race-me-my-first-week-ownership.html)

myfirstporsche 05-04-2009 05:00 PM

A list of cars that wanted to race me in my first week of ownership

I have put 500 miles on the car this last week. During my travels, some cars wanted to race.

- Newer Mustang Cobra

- Newer Mustang GT

- 1996ish Corvette

- 1990's Mustang GT

- 2007ish Corvette

and a few cars that shouldn't have wanted to.......one was a Toyota Highlander.

What a great first week....I didn't take any on as we are in a Cleveland, Ohio suburb and the speed limit is 35 MPH.

r9i8c7k 05-04-2009 05:07 PM

Wise decision not to street race...it also gives them the impression they are not worthy.

Dar01 05-04-2009 05:49 PM

Welcome!

Hey, I am in Medina!!!....very few Ohio Boxsters around.....nice to see locals on the board. I have a 2000 base, arena red, tan int.

If you are going to do any mods and need advice, let me know....here is a list of what I have done.

-DIY sport exhaust (pedros garage dot com) I think
-de-amber (new light units actually)
-clear side marker lights
-pin 18 hack (top works while moving)
-sticky radio button fix
-new spark plug tubes and o-rings
-clean throttle body
-painted calipers
-flush brakes/clutch
-clean radiators/paint front grills (back to black)
-becker mp3 cabel next on the list!
-orbital polisher (swirl remover) and Zaino

Wow, I've done more than I thought....Most of it was fun!

Gent 05-04-2009 06:00 PM

In my first month with my 2000 Boxster, every dork with a dump valve has wanted to race. pfffft.

rick3000 05-04-2009 06:17 PM

I have only had a few people try to race me, mostly rice rockets. I never street race, and rarely go over the speed limit because I prefer to accelerate to the speed limit quickly (theirs no law against that).
But there are a few areas where two lanes become one on the other side of the stop light, and if anyone tries to race me there ... well they lose. :cheers:

Immortal1520 05-04-2009 06:46 PM

Psh, I ignore people trying to race me. I don't feel like getting my car impounded anytime soon. Either way, nine times out of ten, the people that challenge me are driving some sort of hideous rice rocket laden with cheap parts. Things like Lancer Evo's and STI's come to mind. And most of the people who drive cars like that, are also probably 16-18 years old and in need of something to boost their ego.

If I wanted to race with kids in cheap plastic cars, I'd get some quarters and go to the arcade. No offense if anyone has one of those here, but I've never had much love for rice rockets. But that should be obvious by now, haha.

yimmy149 05-05-2009 03:52 PM

I live near Microsoft, so I can hardly drive on the freeway without an M3 whizzing past me. Used to be really jealous of M3 drivers, but not since I got my Boxster. :D

-james

Lil bastard 05-05-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfirstporsche
I have put 500 miles on the car this last week. During my travels, some cars wanted to race.

- Newer Mustang Cobra

- Newer Mustang GT

- 1996ish Corvette

- 1990's Mustang GT

- 2007ish Corvette

and a few cars that shouldn't have wanted to.......one was a Toyota Highlander.

What a great first week....I didn't take any on as we are in a Cleveland, Ohio suburb and the speed limit is 35 MPH.

And most of them will beat you too!

But, if that's why you got it, you bought the wrong car.

:cheers:

nola911 05-05-2009 08:54 PM

Out of my ever increasing list of sports cars that I have owned, I have never had anyone try to race me from a red light. Not once. Am I the oddball here?

vath2001 05-06-2009 02:18 AM

All I ever see is SUV, SUV, SUV, minivan, minivan, SUV, peeeck-up.
The midwest is lacking when is come to exotic sport cars..... we have lots of "practical cars".

And the Boxster is about as un-practical as they come.... I mean, it doesn't have cup holder!
I would put that on a license plate, but no one would get it.

rick3000 05-06-2009 06:06 AM

I have to disagree.
In the realm of sports cars, Porsche are by far the most practical, especially the Boxster. In two years, I have never needed any other car except something to haul my tires, when they need to get changed. How many other sports cars have two trunks, can fit your golf clubs, have a full sized spare, can fit a keg in the front trunk, and give you the option of a roof rack to haul your bikes, skiis, surfboard, etc. Plus, some people even get a trailer hitch to haul jet skiis, their track equipment, small boats, etc. :cheers:

renzop 05-06-2009 06:25 AM

What I like to do when some nimrod pulls up to me at a red light and revs like they want to race is to completely ignore them and pick my nose. This such an oblivious and anti-competitive action that they either laugh or do nothing. I would prefer that people laugh at me than race me on the street.

Immortal1520 05-06-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by renzop
What I like to do when some nimrod pulls up to me at a red light and revs like they want to race is to completely ignore them and pick my nose. This such an oblivious and anti-competitive action that they either laugh or do nothing. I would prefer that people laugh at me than race me on the street.

I laughed.

vath2001 05-06-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
I have to disagree.
In the realm of sports cars, Porsche are by far the most practical, especially the Boxster. In two years, I have never needed any other car except something to haul my tires, when they need to get changed. How many other sports cars have two trunks, can fit your golf clubs, have a full sized spare, can fit a keg in the front trunk, and give you the option of a roof rack to haul your bikes, skiis, surfboard, etc. Plus, some people even get a trailer hitch to haul jet skiis, their track equipment, small boats, etc. :cheers:

Point taken. However, I never referred to other Sport cars, just "people and stuff" haulers as being more practical than a Boxster. I would be hard pressed to carry 48" LCD home with the Boxster, although easily done with any SUV.

mylamb 05-06-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxferran
Out of my ever increasing list of sports cars that I have owned, I have never had anyone try to race me from a red light. Not once. Am I the oddball here?

A lot of people seem to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to Porsches. I had an MR2 Turbo - very few challenges. A 300ZXTT - 0 challenges. Like the first post, during my first 2 months I got challenged by:

SL65 AMG
E55 AMG
2006 Corvette
E46 M3

I was like "seriously???" Kind of like Lennox Lewis slapping around a teenager. I didn't oblige, because naturally, they were driven by idiots. The SL65 almost crashed twice trying to get others to accept his challenge. The E55, when I wouldn't oblige, accelerated to what must have been over 120mph on Lake Shore Drive. Sorry, I like KEEPING my license. That's what AX & Track Events are for...

myfirstporsche 05-06-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dar01
Hey, I am in Medina!!!....very few Ohio Boxsters around.....nice to see locals on the board. I have a 2000 base, arena red, tan int.

If you are going to do any mods and need advice, let me know....here is a list of what I have done.

-DIY sport exhaust (pedros garage dot com) I think
-de-amber (new light units actually)
-clear side marker lights
-pin 18 hack (top works while moving)
-sticky radio button fix
-new spark plug tubes and o-rings
-clean throttle body
-painted calipers
-flush brakes/clutch
-clean radiators/paint front grills (back to black)
-becker mp3 cabel next on the list!
-orbital polisher (swirl remover) and Zaino

Wow, I've done more than I thought....Most of it was fun!

Nice to know for sure! I am trying to find a mechanic for oil changes etc. I know North Olmstead Porsche is a good dealer in the area......

I do want to do some mods...we will have to connect.

23109VC 05-07-2009 10:14 AM

I've had my car 6 months and no one has tried to race me.

to me - the boxster isn't the kind of car that I would expect to draw challenges to race on the street...

EVOs, STis.... those are hte cars I expect to see racing each other...

although, I guess those guys want to race anyone, and they would probably like to say they "beat a Porsche"... I don't give them the satisfaction...

it would be fun, however, to find one of those idiots on a track and then show him your taillights..as he realizes that his "pffft" blow off valve, airplane wing, and giant stickers, don't help much on a track... I would bet that on a tirght track where hp is less crucial than handling, even a base boxster would have no problem hanging iwth or beating a lot of those AWD rice rockets...

yellowboxster01 05-07-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

I prefer to accelerate to the speed limit quickly (theirs no law against that).

That's what I thought also. About 10 years ago when I had a 951, I accelerated quickly from a stop light, never speeding just right up to the speed limit and let off. A cop going the opposite direction flipped around and pulled me over. He wrote me a ticket for "excessive acceleration". Keep in mind I never broke the tires loose or anything but, it had a Fabspeed exhaust and was a bit on the loud side. I ended up fighting it and won but, I thought it was a bit a ridiculous and a waste of time. :rolleyes:

gdalby 05-07-2009 11:56 AM

Surprisingly, I've only had a few people attempt to race me in my first six months and every one of them was a European car. A few Audi's, a VW and a Volvo. It didnt make sense to me! I never raced any of them. I go fast for my own enjoyment, not to get into some dick measuring contest with the idiot in the next lane.

tonycarreon 06-10-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

I have only had a few people try to race me, mostly rice rockets. I never street race, and rarely go over the speed limit because I prefer to accelerate to the speed limit quickly (theirs no law against that).

bah! i've been pulled over twice and got a ticket once several years ago from a cop who pulled me over for accelerating too quickly. he said it was reckless driving. i never got over 35 mph either time. ( both in dallas in a red eclipse, by the way )

the one time i was going > 100, the cop in the median didn't even care to pull me over. ( not that i condone that sort of thing! )