986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   A list of cars that wanted to race me in my first week of ownership (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/20520-list-cars-wanted-race-me-my-first-week-ownership.html)

Perfectlap 06-10-2009 05:46 PM

Mustang has the worst brakes of any sports car I have ever driven.

on

off

Very one dimensional factory set up...

There's one thing I know right off the bat by a guy looking to race me.
1-He doesn't know how to drive, doubt I've ever heard of an experienced driver partaking in street races.
2-He doesn't know a thing about Porsches.

CRCGuy 06-10-2009 09:50 PM

Will be interesting when some MY09 Boxster S PDKs get out there.

If we believe the latest road tests, it will crush every car in your list, possibly even the Corvette (unless Z06) if you have Sport Chrono Plus and use launch control.

But I agree---it's not worth 6 points on your license or having it suspended. rediculous really. Now if they want to meet at a local drag strip or autocross event....let the games begin.

BoxsterS21 06-11-2009 06:00 AM

Now I am in Colorado and No I am not dumb when it comes to racing, but there are some people who just like seeing a nice car blast off of the line just to get a smile. I see that all of the time. Yes Evo's and Sti's have raced me, Off the line the boxster S is still faster. I also have a buddy with an S200. He ate my dust too.

The thing is that if you can pick out the difference between the egotistical maniacs and the kids that just want a little fun, a little red light drag(to the speed limit) is always a good time.

I have put so many smiles on kids in Hondas that eventually want a Porsche in life just by revving it up and jetting away.

Life is here to enjoy, just don't be dumb.

CRCGuy 06-11-2009 06:58 AM

Yes!

I hate to say it, but more than once in my S2000 when some "ego maniac" wanted to race is I revved my engine like mad, gripped the steering wheel with purpose, gave them a nod, then when the light turns green I.....did nothing! Just sat and watched them peel out for a second or two (and waited to see if that white SUV approaching from behind was an unmarked patrol car) I know....what an A___E! But what a smile on my face--which is why I bought a roadster to begin with :)

Not a good idea if someone is directly behind you or you'll be buying a new bumper.

Typically, when some teen just wants to have fun, I find they'll actually lean towards the window with hands at 10 and 2 and just ask! "hey dude, wanna burn one?" To which I reply, "I'd love to, but not worth it" The ego maniac often just looks over at you and revs his engine with his hand on top of the steering wheel like a dork.

SeanZ4 06-11-2009 08:11 AM

only challenged once

I don't do the racing thing either. A few weeks back I had a kid in a honda si with a loud pipe rev his engine at a light next to me. I just ignored him. I don't want to get a ticket, tear my tires up or just plain act a fool. I read some earlier posts about excessive acceleration. Here in ks you WILL get a ticket for that. When I was in high school many years ago I raced a guy in a v8 60's mustang. I was in my grandpa's '68 Ford country squire station wagon with a 390 big block. I blew him away. He was the laughing stock of the school. My grandpa's wagon weighed in at 8 metric tons and was riding on bias ply tires... Yikes!