Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #21

Seeing that you are located on Cape Cod...

1) Heated seats - wife/girlfriend will love it.

2) Wind Stop - wife/girlfriend will thank you for keeping their hair neat.

3) 3M Clear Bra - when you hit the pot holes in the roads in Mass. this will protect the paint from chipping when gravel flies up when exiting the pot hole.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S.
My critical options were:
S Model
03 or 04 for the glass back window, glove box, better looking headlights and tail lights
Heated Seats
Color that you find attractive ( for me it was Seal Grey with a light grey interior)
Windstop
18 inch wheels

I wanted a Bose Stereo, but I bought a car with the lowest end stereo, not even door speakers. I didn't think this was as critical because this is easy to overcome with good aftermarket equipment. Having an entirely new stereo system installed in it this week that will probably sound better than the Bose anyway.

PSM - Wasn't sure if I really wanted this, but was a bonus on the car I bought. Makes me feel safer on slick roads now.
Saw a few other posts here which reminded me - manual transmission was a must-have option for me.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermcd
If you were buying your first boxter what would be the most important options you would be looking for......... Thanks!

(a little option overwhelmed)
Heated seats were the one thing I insisted on when I bought my first (and so far only) Boxster. My wife thought I was nuts, and now she won't even get in to a car without heated seats.

The wind stop makes a big difference as many have said. Litronics (HID) are great, and probably work better if a factor option than installed after the fact. Porsche 997 OEM short shifter. ROW M030 is greatest option, but has to be done afterwards on US cars since we're not ROW. OBC and cruise control can be added, but nice to have from the factory. 18" wheels and colored crests for looks. Electric memory seats so the outside passenger mirror dips down in reverse is really useful. If you can swing it, the Porsche crest in the headrest really makes the car unique and special
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #24

If I were getting a new car (fat chance...) basic options would be

Heated Seats
Litronics
Limited Slip Differential

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff
If you can swing it, the Porsche crest in the headrest really makes the car unique and special
It's unique and special until someone checks the same box on the order sheet.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #26

TRACTION CONTROL
TRACTION CONTROL
TRACTION CONTROL

Dunno why these cars dont have it for a year 2000 model

Glad I have heated seats and the wind deflector tho
00boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #27
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermcd
If you were buying your first boxter what would be the most important options you would be looking for......... Thanks!

(a little option overwhelmed)
I feel your pain. I honestly think Porsche has more options for their cars than any other manufacturer. I had the same overwhelmed feeling when I started looking. For me, the top ones were:

S-model
Traction control
Heated seats
18" or + wheels
6 speed manual
Sport supension

But I really wanted "everything" if you know what I mean. In the end I got a special edition model which came pretty much loaded up with almost every option from the start. It significantly reduced the the things I had to decide. You might consider looking at one of the special edition cars if you decide you are an option whore like me.

Good luck!
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #28

So true. I'm an option whore too....sorry, just cannot help it.

I can't believe someone actually said PSE was a waste in an earlier post. They obviously have not had the pleasure of running down the road wide open...

Minimal options for me if ordering a new one:

Red / Beige all over again - just a color combo you cannot stop looking at..
New series Litronics w/ cornering capability
PASM
PSE
Sport shifter - Sorry PDK people, 6 speed is just too nice to have
Full Leather - power seat package
Dark wood package
Sport Chrono w/ nav (plus)
19" Carrera Classic wheels
Bose audio

So basically an updated version of what I already have...Still would be tough getting rid of mine though....Just a fantastic car. I do like the advances of the new direct injection fuel system and the current 0-60 time. Those numbers are so good, why go up to a turbo??

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #29
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade

I can't believe someone actually said PSE was a waste in an earlier post. They obviously have not had the pleasure of running down the road wide open...
I guess if you don't care about a cars sound at all perhaps PSE would be a waste. However, I think it adds a lot to the overall driving experience. When I got my PSE I thought it was expensive, but after having it a while I think it's fantastic and probably the best purchase I've made.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #30

I thought the same, but once I made the plunge, it was well worth it. Looks awesome too on the earlier models.

Couple the PSE to the fabspeed by-pass pipes and it really roars!!!!

If I hit a lick, I'd probably at this point go ahead and add their headers too just to complete the madness....

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #31

Ask about keys. It's expensive to get more.
986Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #32

Here is my few cents (I live in Waltham so I have been through that)

1) And most important! Car must come from a person with a garage (even better two garages), who has an SUV or something to drive the winter. As you may know all cars become junk around here because of diving on salted roads. Make sure that the owner loved his Porsche.

2) I would say don't mind the stereo, buy something without heated seats (it's a guaranty that the car was not driven in winter). What ever stereo option Porsche has you will find yourself wanting to upgrade to an aftermarket (GPS head unit, better amp, new speakers...)

3) If you can get an older Boxster 1997-2000 with a 3 spoke wheel, clear headlights and rear compartment. Go ahead and buy it. To me it means that the owner loved his Porsche.

4) The most expensive mods that you would like to do are: larger wheels (18" at least), 3-spoke wheel and headlights. The price to do these competes with the price of an older Boxster (ok ti doesn't :-), but these are extremely expensive compared to the price of the old Boxster).

Except for the wheels I just described my Boxy :-))) .

gstoli is offline   Reply With Quote