Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #1

Short shift kit on a 997 assembly??

I recently did the 997 shifter assembly install on my 2000 5 speed.

I debated about getting the actual 997 SHORT shifter, but since it was SO expensive, and I wasn't really sure what I wanted, I opted for the cheaper "standard" 997 assembly.

I like it - and I'm not dying to change it, but I have to admit that I think I would have liked it *shorter*. live and learn..

my question is - can I install a short shift kit onto THIS shifter assembly, and if so - is there one that is ideal/best for my new 997 style shifter? would I be better off to sell my shifter and just buy te Porsche one?

my car has 76k miles - so the original shifter assembly was pretty worn - I could tell a drastic difference in teh tightenss of the shifters just from playign with teh old one, once it was out, compraed to the new one I bought...so I figure that it wasn't a bad thing to buy a new shift assembly.... the overall unit is now newer and tighter....

does a short shift kit easily go onto what I have?

thanks.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

I can't help you with installation questions, but I can tell you that I really like the Porsche short shift kit. I went to Suncoast and had them install it and there is a big difference from the original.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #3

Sell the shifter and get the 9X7 factory short shifter. Recently installed it in my 97 and it's worth every penny. Shift is very short and pattern is tight.
Techbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #4

I want the 997 short shifter but just can't get past the price.

Are there any aftermarket versions of that one yet?