Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #41

Box$ + H2$ = 911tt$

First time I saw a 911 I did not like the the back of the car, It was lower than the front, If only they can fix it. Then came the boxster, With the amount I paid for the box '05 and H2 03 brand new (cash/we have no kids) first yr they came out, I could have a 911tt without the off road capability. These are my weekend cars, if somebody drop a bad remarks about my box I run them over with my H2 as long as they don't ask me to pay for the damages. :troll:

speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 AM   #42

I apologize for all does not mean that you are liars, but please respect my opinion that this type of Porsche made for people with limited income, "one senior staff of the agency Porsche boxster said that people buy because they can not afford to buy the 911s.

Subject for discussion, not to mention the nationalities and the States lol
e7lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:39 AM   #43

It seemed like you were asking for specific opinions in your original post - that's what people have been providing. I personally could have spent more on a car than I did. The Boxster was a good compromise between quality and economy. Can I afford a higher-end Porsche? Yes. Do I want to commit a larger percentage of my income to a non-essential expense? Nope.

If the goal of your thread is to point out that many people buy Boxsters because it's the Porsche model they can afford, well, that's both accurate and painfully obvious...
Old 04-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by e7lew
I apologize for all does not mean that you are liars, but please respect my opinion that this type of Porsche made for people with limited income, "one senior staff of the agency Porsche boxster said that people buy because they can not afford to buy the 911s.
That's an ignorant statement. I know millionaires that don't own Porsches.

You are not what you drive.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:11 AM   #45

These threads are just constant ...

Covered over and over ...
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #46

I guess that's his opinion but I think he's underestimating the appeal of the Boxster.
That statement would only hold true if people bought their cars only for the brand name.
Two very different cars and markets. A lot of us bought our 986s because of what it is, not what it is'nt.

Quote:

Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #47
Fred Demara

you asked a question, and here is your answer.

I've owned a 911

I sold it, and bought my boxster.

On any given day at the track, I can overcome a 911 99% of the time.

The 911 is a heavier car, and the balance is poor.

For me, it's not about money, it just comes down to wanting the faster car.

I highly suspect that just got back from the track, and are venting here because a "Boxter" passed you several times, and don't understand why.

Quote:

Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #48

Quote:

Limited income? That may be your excuse but what about the likes of Michael Dell or Kiefer Southerland.. or any of the many other people who drive a boxster because it is genuinely a fun car?
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 AM   #49

Quote:

I am of an age where I do not have to impress anyone but myself. Your belief that people buy Boxsters because they cannot afford a 911 is down right stupid. My wife's primary car is a first generation C-70 Volvo convertable that cost a lot more than my Boxster did new. I have had a sports car addiction since I was 14 years old and have had 11 cars ranging from a 56 Alfa Veloci to a 64 MGB which was my last car before the Boxster. The B was as fast as the Boxster as I spent 15 years turning it into a full blown 4 cyl racer. The time came for my wife and I to get different car for our weekend trips and test drove a number of different Porsches along with Z's, BMW's, Honda's, Miata's and a couple of older sports cars. For our life style ( a lot of traveling on weekends) the Boxster was hands down winner. Lots of room , comfortable to ride in for a trip, and faster than I should be driving at my age. Please respect OUR opinion that the Boxster was an active choice for what we needed or wanted out of a sports car. How do we know that YOU are not a LIAR. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #50

I wouldn't say I'm poor, but I'm not rolling in dough either. I'm making payments on my '99 Boxster, and will be for a while. I can't afford a GT3 RS yet.

Originally, when I started looking for a car, I was going to buy another beater. However, after dumping tons of money into my last beater, I decided to get something that would last a bit. I decided to get a 944. I looked at a few, and although they were affordable for me, I couldn't get over them being so old. The 944 eventually morphed into the 944 Turbo. Those have the same problem though. At that point though, I figured I'd just go a bit more and get a used Boxster.

I've had lots of people tell me that this car (and every car I've ever owned) isn't practical. I tell them that my cars are all perfectly practical for me. I don't buy cars to get me from point A to point B in the most efficient, or comfortable manner. I buy cars because I love to drive. The car is my destination, not how I get to my destination.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #51

Quote:

What is the point of this post? The car costs what it costs. People choose cars for many reasons, and cost is always a consideration, albiet a varying one for most folks.

I have owned numerous Boxsters and 911s, sometimes at the same time.

I prefer the Box to any 911 I had but that is my preference.

Some folks buy a car partly with what it does for their ego.

So be it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I buy cars because I love to drive. The car is my destination, not how I get to my destination.
I know EXACTLY what you mean!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #53

Quote:
we can’t handle the fact that we buy the boxter because we can’t afford the 911, and we convince ourselves of the joinable driving and great exterior, that’s why we buy the cheapest Porsche and the ugliest, with an expensive parts, and all that is for pleasing people and hearing them say “ look! He is driving a Porsche”!

Perhaps the We in your statement is YOU. If that is so, fine for you.

Don't ask us to speak and then speak for us. Very bad form.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #54

Wow, I had to go back and read this whole thread before I posted. First my answer and then a thought for E7LEW...

I have only been in the Porsche scene since Oct 08 when I bought my first one (2001 Boxster S - prsitine, low miles, red...had to be red). Up to the point of purchase I knew I wanted a sports car and it was narrowed down between a vette and a porsche.

I looked at 911's and Boxsters and then fell in love with the one a friend had that I subsequently bought. I'll admit that 8 months ago I did not know THAt MUCH about porsches...my knowledge today is about 1000% more. And what do I think about perhaps buying in 3 years? ..... a 2009/10 BOXSTER to replace this car. I expect to be with Porsche now until I quite driving someday and my car of choice will probably be the 987.

The 987 is THE SPORTSCAR from Porsche...look at the reviews on the 2009, they say it is becoming the Porsche to own if you want a true sports car made by porsche.

The comments about it is the poor man porsche is started by 911+ owners who for some reason feel a need to look down. Owners of GT porsches probably say that about 911 drivers. I disregard those comments.

Look at any Porsche gathering photo and you will see perhaps the highest percentage of Boxsters in any photo. I just helped at a PCA rally and 1/2 the field was Boxsters over 911's.

Now my comment to you, E7LEW... I think your comments are echoing someone's else and as Bruce Lee stated, they do not represent me. Suggest you speak for your self on this issue...not us. Bob

Last edited by Motobob; 04-25-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #55

There are two groups of people who chant the "Boxster is the poor man's Porsche" mantra: A small subset of high-end Porsche owners who have a superiority complex, and people who don't own a Porsche at all and feel the need to diminish the Boxster.

It's VERY infrequent that I hear anyone malign my Boxster, and I personally have never had another Porsche owner give me anything but props. As for the non-Porsche owners, I ask anyone who makes the "poor man's Porsche" comment if they've ever driven one. The answer is always no - and in my estimation, ignorance and jealously aren't the two best cornerstones for an informed opinion.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:41 AM   #56

e7lew,

I appears you have a very limited knowledge of Porsche. But welcome aboard just the same. The BoxSter was the first design by Porsche designed from the start to be a convertible sports car. So obviously it was going to be popular. All other convertibles before Boxster were coupes that had their tin tops cut off to satisfy the consumer demand for convertible fun. That resulted in a car that shook too much and wasn't rigid enough. The design of Boxster addressed those big complaints of the 911 Cabriolet. More importantly it allowed Porsche to make up for another big demand from the public: a mid engine 911. From the doors to the front bumper the Boxster was EXACTLY the same car as the MK1 996 Carrera. By simply giving it a new name "Boxster" they avoided the embarrasment of having to acknowledge that mid engine sports and LMP cars are superior to front or rear engine sports cars in sprint racing.
Why didn't they put a bigger engine in it? No need. Boxster is a combination of the words Boxer and Roadster. So obviously it's a roadster with a boxer engine.
A Roadster is intended to be light in weight, small and perfectly balanced. Going fast in this car is up to driver skill.... and not relying on the engine to do the work for you. But despite this the 2.7 and 3.2 engines have more power than most of the 911's every built. The Carrera only recently passed the 300 HP mark in standard form. It has never been a powerful car. If you wanted one of the fast 911's you had to pay $$$ and you were already over paying to begin with. But lucky for Porsche they rely on customers who have more money than knowledge, most Porsches never make it to the track or even an autocross. But I guess you can certainly say the same of Lamborghini and Ferrari. They want the most expensive car to satisfy whatever non-driving related goals they want to achieve with their car. Obtaining the Porsche that does the most for your money (Boxster/Cayman) is of no concern to this type of of sports car owner since they won't really be testing that value in the habitat it was designed to perform in.

e7lew,
Now that you have a better understadning of what the Boxster is and of Porsche I can share with you my motivation. I watched Top Gear one night and a former F1 driver was testing the Boxster on a track and was having a great time sliding the car all over. Top Gear proclaimed the Boxster as the best sports car, not just convertible, but best overall pure sports car you could buy new. So the next week I drove one and bought it.

p.s.
I have never understood the idea that the Boxster "is the Porsche I could afford".
If you can't afford a 911 buy an old 911! There are tons of old well maintained 911's in every color and power combination you can imagine. They don't handle as well as a Boxster or are as reliable but you can still buy a 911 if you don't have much money.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-25-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #57

I probably would consider the Boxster to be a Poormans 911 had it actually been like a 911. If it looked similar, which it doesn't. If it was rear-engined, which it isn't. If it had backseats, which it doesn't. If it drove like a 911, which it clearly doesn't.

They're two completely different cars and if you're under that mantra that "you only bought a Boxster because you couldn't afford a 911", then you clearly don't know what you're talking about or you're about as ignorant as you can possibly get.

Failing that, you probably drive some lame car that can't compare to the heavily praised Boxster and have an immense feeling of jealousy for it. Pick up any car magazine that says anything about the Boxster, I'll bet you the keys to mine that they're going to say nothing but great things about it.

Porsche made a stellar car in the 911 years ago, and that car is pretty much the brilliant genius amongst its competitors in its range. The same can be said about the Boxster and it's peers. I still think that mantra is stupid, that it's for people who can't afford 911's. You don't hear people with SLK's get flak for their cars because they can't afford SLR's. They're different. Just like the Boxster and the 911.
Immortal1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #58
Track rat

Garage
To ask the question is to miss the point. Both are great cars... very different cars.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #59

That "nice young man" from overseas sure struck a nerve with his uninformed opinion did he not. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #60

Talking

Well, I just got out of a 2005 smart ForTwo diesel and into a 2000 Boxster.

They are both great cars, worth about the same and each does some things better than the other. The things they have in common are: shop rates for maintenance, they seat 2, have similar safety features and both can hold a shopping cart full of groceries.

And both make me smile when I drive them.

I'm not saving the planet anymore, but that's never been why I buy a car in the first place. If I like driving it, and I can justify the expense - then I buy it.

I was actually looking for a good ~1967 912 when the boxster came my way.

Am I too poor to purchase a 959? Ummm, yeah.

Gent is offline   Reply With Quote