Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #1

Time may change me...

Been awhile since I posted here. After some 28k+ miles, though, I traded the Boxster in (last Monday). The Wiff and I, though we loved the car... had an addition to the family and after much discussion, we decided to opt for a car with a backseat. Was looking around for something in an 07 or 08, but ended up going with a 2k9 Carrera S. Maybe not the most practical, but... so it goes.

Incidently, not sure if a certain MNmember :ah: still prowls the forum, but should he pop in -- I'd like to tell him that I did get XM radio with the Carrera. Guess I was right about satellite radio.

satellite radio

Edit: New car has Sport Chrono, pdk and a few creature comfort features.

Last edited by cfos; 04-19-2009 at 09:48 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Sweet ride,super nice color.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #3

Nice choice. I am glad you didn't go the "SUV" or minivan route.
I do love pulling up next to the guy drivng the SUV/minivan just so they can see the smile I have driving the Boxster.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 AM   #4

Thanks! Just need to put on another 1400 miles (break-in) before attemping a Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vath2001
Nice choice. I am glad you didn't go the "SUV" or minivan route.
I do love pulling up next to the guy drivng the SUV/minivan just so they can see the smile I have driving the Boxster.
+1! Actually, I drove the Boxster year round. Just slap another set of wheels and some Blizzaks and the Boxster was ready to go... so long as the snow doesn't get too deep....
Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

sweet!

out of curiosity - how does it handle vs your boxster?? I haven't driven a 997, but have driven one 996 and compared to my 986 - I honestly felt the boxster was quite a bit more "fun" to drive in the twisties. it felt more balance and more nimble - which makes sense given the size/weight/balance of the midengined 986.

on a new 997 - I'm wondering it advancements in technology, engineering, etc have made the newer 997 FAR better than the 996 and would a 997 be more "nimble" and tossabel on a twisty road than a boxster??

how would you compare the driving experience of the two cars??
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
bmussatti

Cfos, sweet ride! Congrats!

And, yes, MNBoxster is still around. Now he calls himself Lil Bastard.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
sweet!

out of curiosity - how does it handle vs your boxster?? I haven't driven a 997, but have driven one 996 and compared to my 986 - I honestly felt the boxster was quite a bit more "fun" to drive in the twisties. it felt more balance and more nimble - which makes sense given the size/weight/balance of the midengined 986.

on a new 997 - I'm wondering it advancements in technology, engineering, etc have made the newer 997 FAR better than the 996 and would a 997 be more "nimble" and tossabel on a twisty road than a boxster??

how would you compare the driving experience of the two cars??
Can't comment on this just yet. I'm still under 700 miles and firmly believe in a proper-break in period for the engine before "spirited" driving.

Having said that, the carrera is an "S" so, more hp in the engine than my non-S boxster. Also, has pdk versus Tip (in my boxster) and the Carrera has the Sport Chrono Plus package which features "Sport" and "Sport Plus" mode (& sport suspension). I'm going to guess that the Carrera will be more "fun" to drive -- nothing against the Boxster, which I enjoyed, but the new car is an upgrade in several areas (for me).

There are plenty of "advances" (this term is open to interpretation for some ) in the 2k9 model year -- the pdk transmission being first. Some reviews claim that it robs the fun out of driving the Porsche although coming from a Tiptronic, I wouldn't claim that. Most articles simply state that shifting is dramatically enhanced -- essentially, the car has what you could describe as "two transmissions" -- one that you currently use and the next that is preloaded for a near instantious shift, which is why you get better mileage. I believe that in Sport and Sport Plus, there is no 7th gear and you can run the roms high before an quick shift. Likewise, I think the gearbox is set so the reverse is true (preloaded lower gears in Sport Plus mode -- not sure if this is accurate, just what I remember). Not the most scientific way of describing it, but I'm pretty sure it is mostly accurate. The car is also predicted to get better milage. The sticker claims 19 in the city and 25 or 26 on the highway. The improved gas milage and lower emmissions have to do with the way gas is shot into the engine (also the motor is some 40 pounds lighter) -- there was a good description in an older Christopherous (sp?) magazine and I'm sure in a Panarama (or online -- if I am not making sense).

My new car also has the Sport Chrono Plus -- there is a "Launch" feature that my boxster doesn't have. I can only imagine what fun that will be. I also find that the 2k9 model year has brought out more creature-comforts -- like xm radio. Though I don't have nav, I love the touch-screen features of the radio/computer. Also, you can get the ipod/connectivity package, which I have -- sure you spend for the options, but I prefer spending and having it fit than worrying about aftermarket mods and where to put the xm antenna, etc.

Last edited by cfos; 04-20-2009 at 03:46 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Cfos, sweet ride! Congrats!

And, yes, MNBoxster is still around. Now he calls himself Lil Bastard.
Thanks Bmuss -- I see you still rocking the white Box. Nice.

How appropriate.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
bmussatti

Cfos, I hear nothing but great feedback about the PDK. Good decision there.

I agree with your statement about the proper break-in procedure too. Hard to do, but the smart move. Will you do an early oil change, say at the 1,000 mile mark?

How was pricing on the C2S? And the trade-in on the Boxster? Great time to be a cash buyer for "toys". Not so great of a time to be selling luxury items.

You will miss the drop top, for sure, IMHO.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Cfos, I hear nothing but great feedback about the PDK. Good decision there.

I agree with your statement about the proper break-in procedure too. Hard to do, but the smart move. Will you do an early oil change, say at the 1,000 mile mark?

How was pricing on the C2S? And the trade-in on the Boxster? Great time to be a cash buyer for "toys". Not so great of a time to be selling luxury items.

You will miss the drop top, for sure, IMHO.
I'm not sure that I will do an oil change or not at the 1k mark. I know there have been great... debates over this in past threads, but I may just do one towards the end of the year when prepping the car for winter driving. TBH, I abided the oil-change requirements by the book for the 2k Box and may have gone out a bit before getting the 1st one done. I traded it in after 3+ years of all-season driving and all that I had was a replaced fuse for the driver's side tail-light. Car never failed me or showed any drop in performance (of course, I have yet to go out to the Miller Motorsports course of participate in other events). So, I don't know.

I was happy with the pricing on this car. Granted, it was a "lot" car. I had my eye on a 2k7 black turbo (a little over 9k miles) at Gaudin (Vegas), an 08 C2 and an 07 C2s (California), although I think I would have had to travel the distance in order to close eskrows. Wasn't too comfortable with that, also needed 2 rear summer tires (TO MAKE THE TRIP)... so... This car had been previously "owned" for a few months and had a little over 500 miles on it (but had depreciation). Had more options than I was looking to equip (had I built it myself) and from a financial perspective we were in a good position, so... I'm a happy camper.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Congrats. Love that PDK tranny!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #12

Would be one of my last color choices, but with a car like that, it's hard to look bad.

Nice upgrade
markzeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzeronine
Would be one of my last color choices, but with a car like that, it's hard to look bad.

Nice upgrade
uh... ok. Thanks, I think.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #14

The PDK is unreal. After spending some time in a Boxster with the PDK I don't think I would buy another Porsche without it for the street, and that is coming from someone who hates Auto's and would never have considered a tip!

Enjoy the car.. its a beauty!

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #15

That is a gorgeous color and is a great combo with that interior.

Woodhouse had an 2009 Boxster intro this weekend at SAC Air Museum. As part of the intro, they let you drive a Boxster S, Cayman S, and 911 - all with PDK. They had a small course laid out in the parking lot. You only got 15 min total time before the next group of participants arrived, so you had to move quickly between cars. In one of the sections, you were supposed to come to a complete stop and then floor it for 60 yds, then slam on the brakes. Don't know which version of 911 it was, but the acceleration was i-n-t-o-x-i-c-a-t-i-n-g. Truly push you back in the seat stuff. I also drove the Cayman S, but it was kind of like eating sirloin after dining on filet.

Congrats cfos on the upgrade. Hope you get those last 1400 mi logged so you can fully enjoy that beauty.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Congrats CFO............ LOVE THE WHEELS! What are they called?
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #17

Nice upgrade. (Tired of people going to BMWs or Audis...)
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #18

Stock! Ha Ha

and yes....they look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Congrats CFO............ LOVE THE WHEELS! What are they called?

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote