Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #1

I want to build a TTOD car

hey guys,

Im thinking that if i can find a donor car, i can drop a 3.8 in it, suspension / tires, seats etc... I should be able to be near TTOD in my local autoXs and track sessions. Driving skills of course are the wildcard, but im talking about the car here, not the driver.

So, im looking for suggestions on how to get from A to Z. I currently have an 01 base model, but dont want to use it for this car. I want to keep that stock.

Im hoping to find a car with a 3.8 already in it, so i dont have to incurr the expense of the swap. But on the other hand, im thinking i can find a slightly damaged (body) car and that may work out too.

Just looking for some thoughts / hints / suggestions from you guys on a donor car, the right way to do it, etc...

Thx

TJ Galati

tjgalati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #2

You'll be in a top modified class with what you are planning, so you better be a top driver first or you'll get whupped by a 914. As at the PCA Porsche Parade in Charlotte this year.

And a -6 last few years.

Maybe your local AXers and tracksters are not top notch, and you are. If you are already taking aim at TTOD you must be pretty good.

Sorting your beast will still require cubic dollars.

There is a wealth of info on this site and over at RennTech.com. Hit the search button!

Also note:
http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/home/index.php?location=home

And WELCOME!
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 04-14-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Additional comment
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

I say go for it!! I want to build a spec Boxster next. And from SD you can see what people can do with Boxsters. I forgot who it is who has a 2.7 spec and is breaking top 10. TTOD in SDR is tough, but with a 3.8 you might have a chance. Not cheap, but if you have the cash that would be a fun car.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Tough crowd in SD but it could surely be done with a Boxster.
Set up the suspension, brakes and tires just like Carl Vanders in SD. Drop in a nice 3.8L, strip every ounce of excess weight from the car, and let Scott Pruett or Andy Lally drive it.

Carl often gets in the top five there with a stock 2.7L motor. The guy can drive!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #5

Boxster is too heavy and does not have enough power even modded to win TTOD at any major AX event. Start with a Lotus 7, 914 or even an Elise and you might stand a chance. The winner last 2 years in SSM at SCCA Nationals were incredibly modified Twin Turbo RX-7s driven by two of the best drivers in the biz. Both cars put out well over 500hp.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #6

I dont believe the boxster is too heavy, thats bull. Toss in a 3.4l in it and twin turbo it or sc it with a kit from TPC and youll be looking about 500 odd hp.

take that plus a stripped down boxster with a carbon fiber body parts... and a 6sp.

Add an excellent driver to the equation and I think you have a shot.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Boxster is too heavy and does not have enough power even modded to win TTOD at any major AX event. Start with a Lotus 7, 914 or even an Elise and you might stand a chance. The winner last 2 years in SSM at SCCA Nationals were incredibly modified Twin Turbo RX-7s driven by two of the best drivers in the biz. Both cars put out well over 500hp.
Renzop,

I think he was referring to local PCA auto-X, not SCCA National Championships.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #8

IMHO you'll want to get the fattest rubber you can up front to dial out the push (I run 245 up front with 275 in the rear and it is quite neutral with stock suspension). The rear can go wider but you need to be careful not to overdo it. Other than that the rest is making changes to get weight out of it and lower it without ruining the handling. Stiffer is not always better!

If you are going to drop some dough, a LSD would probably help a lot at AX's.

Oh, and BTW, buy Hooiser's for max grip. I really like my V710's but I've heard that Hoosier A6's are the way to go. If you start with Hoosiers you'll be dialing in the car's handling with what I hear is the best tire out there. You don't want to make too many tire changes as you start to fine tune the handling to your driving preferences.

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote