Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #1

First Time Boxster Owner - Advice Please

I have just purchased a 2003 Boxster S - Tiptronic, only 20 000km on the clock and the car looks great. Absolute showroom condition.

This is the first time that I have bought a Porsche and it has always been a dream of mine to own one.

Is there anything that I should be aware of with this model, especially the Tiptronic gearbox?

pmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 AM   #2

Drive it, enjoy it, and stay current on Porsche's maintenance schedule and the car will treat you right!

Don't let IMS, RMS, D-chunk, slipped sleave, and other documented failure get you down. You'll read on the 'net and elsewhere about folks experiencing these catastrophic failures, but the reality is they are rare. Vast majority of these engines run fine for many years and 100K+ miles.

Also the Tip seems less likely to develop all of these failures. Presumably due to reduced driveline shock compared to the manual tranny.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #3

I recommend you change oil and filter twice as often as Porsche recommends. Use best quality oil you can get/afford.

Change brake fluid every two years at least. Porsche recommends.

More if you track.

Lucky is right - don't worry excessively. Most cars do not have these problems.

And WELCOME!!!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #4

I have 96K on my Tip with no problems. Maintain it by the book and you will be fine.

Welcome to the addiction, you are going to have more fun than you imagined.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #5

pmeyer - as per whats been said by the others.
I replace my oil & filter every 8000km or yearly & use a good quality synthetic (Shell Helix Ultra). Also consider replacing the coolant which in yours is 6 years old. If I remember correctly, Jhb gets damn cold in winter. I lived in the Kyalami / Halway House area for many years in the 1970's and remember many sub zero mornings.

Best of luck with the Boxster..... Is the Arnold Chatz Alfa Romeo dealership in Randburg still operating - I bought a couple of Alfa 1750 GTV's from him and he was a fine race driver too.
Steve
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
I recommend you change oil and filter twice as often as Porsche recommends. Use best quality oil you can get/afford.

Change brake fluid every two years at least. Porsche recommends.

More if you track.

Lucky is right - don't worry excessively. Most cars do not have these problems.

And WELCOME!!!
I'm new here. I just purchased an 08 Boxster (new, with 30 km on it). It's my DD for the summer months (I live in Calgary, Alberta) and then it will be stored for the winter. By the time I store it I will probably have 6 - 7k km on it. I suggested to my dealer that I should probably get an oil change prior to storage but his answer was no, maybe when it comes out of storage next spring but probably not even then. Since the car basically sat on their lot for a year, that would be 2 years (or more) before a first oil change. Thoughts? Maybe I should just ignore his advice and get one done at the end of this summer. But if it's really not necessary, I also (obviously ) don't want to spend the money.

My next questions relate to RPM. My dealer, who is a reputable dealer, told me that I don't need to break in the engine. However, the manual states that there is a break-in period for the first 3,000 km during which the RPM shouldn't exceed 4,200 and lugging the motor is really bad. My bet is to go with what the manual is saying (although it's taking some of the fun away since I still have 1,800 km to go!).

And finally shifting. I watch the RPM and try to keep the car in the 2,500 - 3,000 RPM range while driving and probably in the 3,300 to 4,000 RPM to shift (up or down). Is this reasonable? What would you recommend? The last thing I want to do is lug the motor (during or after the break-in period).
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly
I'm new here. I just purchased an 08 Boxster (new, with 30 km on it). It's my DD for the summer months (I live in Calgary, Alberta) and then it will be stored for the winter. By the time I store it I will probably have 6 - 7k km on it. I suggested to my dealer that I should probably get an oil change prior to storage but his answer was no, maybe when it comes out of storage next spring but probably not even then. Since the car basically sat on their lot for a year, that would be 2 years (or more) before a first oil change. Thoughts? Maybe I should just ignore his advice and get one done at the end of this summer. But if it's really not necessary, I also (obviously ) don't want to spend the money.
Definitely change it just prior to storage. Always, always do this. The acids, moisture, and contaminents that build up in oil during use are not good for a stored engine. Your dealer either isn't giving you good advise or isn't taking the time to understand what you are asking.

Quote:
My next questions relate to RPM. My dealer, who is a reputable dealer, told me that I don't need to break in the engine. However, the manual states that there is a break-in period for the first 3,000 km during which the RPM shouldn't exceed 4,200 and lugging the motor is really bad. My bet is to go with what the manual is saying (although it's taking some of the fun away since I still have 1,800 km to go!).
Listen to the manual, at least moreso than your dealer. I do think the manual's break in guidance is overly conservative and once you get to 1600 km's, you will be fine enjoying the full rpm range, or at least up your limit to 5500 as you finish out the official break in period.

Quote:
And finally shifting. I watch the RPM and try to keep the car in the 2,500 - 3,000 RPM range while driving and probably in the 3,300 to 4,000 RPM to shift (up or down). Is this reasonable? What would you recommend? The last thing I want to do is lug the motor (during or after the break-in period).
Yes... never lug these engines. High load below 2500 rpm isn't good. You will be doing your engine (and your wallet) a big favor if you stay above 3000 and don't shift until you are at or above 4000 (so revs won't drop much below 3000 with the next gear).

Enjoy your car!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #8

But realize that those 30km probably have already seen numerous redlines already!

I went for a test drive two weeks ago in a Boxster S with just 12 miles on the odometer. The sales rep drove me to the turn around point about 2 miles down the road, obviously to show me what I'm "allowed" to do, during which he redlined practically every single shift. I (pretending to be naive) asked if that OK since there is a recommended break in period. He said, oh that's just legal stuff, the engine was designed for this.

Why do they care? they're just trying to sell the car---not at all involved later when the engine has a failure. It's a problem in general with the new car business which is why I chose to either buy my boxster with 70k on the clock (shows it is likely OK if it has survived on the same motor) or spec it out, order it brand spanking new and request it never sees another driver but me!
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Definitely change it just prior to storage. Always, always do this. The acids, moisture, and contaminents that build up in oil during use are not good for a stored engine. Your dealer either isn't giving you good advise or isn't taking the time to understand what you are asking.

Listen to the manual, at least moreso than your dealer. I do think the manual's break in guidance is overly conservative and once you get to 1600 km's, you will be fine enjoying the full rpm range, or at least up your limit to 5500 as you finish out the official break in period.

Yes... never lug these engines. High load below 2500 rpm isn't good. You will be doing your engine (and your wallet) a big favor if you stay above 3000 and don't shift until you are at or above 4000 (so revs won't drop much below 3000 with the next gear).

Enjoy your car!
Thanks very much for your reply .
Old 06-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCGuy
But realize that those 30km probably have already seen numerous redlines already!

I went for a test drive two weeks ago in a Boxster S with just 12 miles on the odometer. The sales rep drove me to the turn around point about 2 miles down the road, obviously to show me what I'm "allowed" to do, during which he redlined practically every single shift. I (pretending to be naive) asked if that OK since there is a recommended break in period. He said, oh that's just legal stuff, the engine was designed for this.

Why do they care? they're just trying to sell the car---not at all involved later when the engine has a failure. It's a problem in general with the new car business which is why I chose to either buy my boxster with 70k on the clock (shows it is likely OK if it has survived on the same motor) or spec it out, order it brand spanking new and request it never sees another driver but me!
I purchased it for about $13k less than ordering a new one so I suppose if any red lining happened during the 30 km, any risk was worth the discount (and would cover the cost of even a new motor down the road). Any peace of mind about red lining in the 30 km wouldn't be worth that much money - to me anyway.