Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #1

Coolant loss after replacing CV axles

Hey guys,

I'd better mention that I don't have much knowledge about cars.

I put my 02 Boxster S in a shop for 2 weeks to replace CV axles and for other issues; checking brake sensors and finding the source of minor oil leak.

Although they replaced the CV axles, they said they could not find any problem with the brake system. For oil leak, they only adjusted oil filter housing. (I don't think that doesn't create dusty oil residue all around parts that I can see from under my car.)

Here are my questions;
1. I was wondering why coolant level went down below lower limit. (The level reached up to Max level when I did oil change two weeks ago.)

2. How much does a pair of CV axles cost?
They charged me $1,100 for the parts only but I expected it would cost more than that. Did they really use genuine parts?

3. Is there other possible/reasonable cause of oil leak of my case?

Thank you in advance.

wirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #2

First, with respect to your coolant level going down, check your coolant reservoir for leaks or hairline cracks, especially on the bottom surface of the reservoir. Also, make sure that you have the latest version of the coolant reservoir cap fitted. If the part number embossed on your cap ends with "00", you have the "leak prone" cap. Most Boxster owners have changed to an "01" cap and IIRC the latest version ends in "03".

Double check your dipstick to make sure that you are not losing coolant into the oil. Not likely, but it doesn't hurt to check.

The MSRP for the half-shafts is about $650, with a discount available from online Porsche dealers such as Sunset or Suncoast.
There is nothing magical about Porsche half-shafts, and the old ones can be rebuilt by any competent machine shop that handles driveshafts for about $125-175 each.

Boxsters are known to have RMS leaks and/or IMS flange leaks in some instances, but I imagine if the shop that you had do the work is at all familiar with Porsches, they would have spotted that pretty quickly.

The dusty oil residue could be caused by a number of sources, such as a leak in the bellows from your AOS. Knowing which area has the deposits of oily residue would help to narrow it down.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote