Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #1

Retrofit Glass Window?

Anyone know if you can replace the plastic rear window (of a 98) with one of the newer glass ones?

Baconaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #2

The short answer is that its not cost efficient if it can even be done.

You may want to do a search for the same question. Just about everyone (me included) asks that question.
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #3

No this cannot be done. The retro fit is to replace the entire top and frame, and motor. I asked and this is nearly $3K.

Sorry, not go.

A new plastic window is about $325 installed.

Good luck
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #4

Where can one get a plastic window replaced for $325??
bnavani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #5

Don't replace the back window... replace the whole top for $390.00... check out THE CAR TOP GUY on Ebay who sells good German made tops with the factory green tint windows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=7918103757&category=33652
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:34 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Don't replace the back window... replace the whole top for $390.00... check out THE CAR TOP GUY on Ebay who sells good German made tops with the factory green tint windows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&tc=photo&item=7918103757&category=33652
I'm pretty sure (tho not 100%) that is the same guy I bought a replacement top for a 325ic from a LONG time ago (like 4 yrs ago). If it's the same guy, he shipped quick, delivered a high-quality top that was exactly what I expected. Now, I know the actual replacement was a different story, taking about 3 days of work! Hopefully the boxster is easier to do. It looks like it would be.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #7

check cabrioworld they have every possible color and material. starting at $300-$400. They've been around for a while.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #8

I was notified via email that a guy in the UK had indeed made a replacement top with glass and came here to find that post and it's nowhere to be found.

Was it removed for some reason? He said he'd post pictures if we wanted him to and YES, I want to see pictures!!!

Dude, are you out there? Repost!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #9

Yes, we are in the process of setting up this company as an advertiser here on the fourm. Be patient, I have seen the window and top and it is quite impressive.

I know you guys will like it!

Quote:
I was notified via email that a guy in the UK had indeed made a replacement top with glass and came here to find that post and it's nowhere to be found.

Was it removed for some reason? He said he'd post pictures if we wanted him to and YES, I want to see pictures!!!

Dude, are you out there? Repost!
Old 03-24-2005, 05:58 AM   #10

Talking

We have removed Steve's posts here, as he is a commercial enterprise that produces these tops with the glass windows. Our policy is that our classifieds are for private members only and that commercial enterprises (those who are in the business of selling products) are required to pay for an ad on our site. Our ad costs are quite reasonable and we believe Steve's product will sell very quickly if he uses this site for promotion.

I have invited Steve to advertise with us on several ocassions and he is certainly free to do so now. However, in consideration to our other advertisers who pay for their ads, we cannot allow Steve to "ride their coatails" so to speak.

I hope you guys understand.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #11

Glass window top retrofit

I noticed various posts indicating that retrofitting an '03 top to an earlier Boxster would be prohibitively expensive. What if you could get an entire top assembly from a wrecking yard? I've had one place tell me that it can be retrofitted, but I'm not confident that they really know for sure... Does it bolt in or weld in? Can an '03 complete top assembly bolt into an earlier car? The attachement points would have to be the same for it to be an owner-install deal, and I don't know if they are. But I can't beleive no one has tried this yet. With my limited Boxster knowledge, I hate to lay out $2000-$3000 to buy a top assembly, only to find it won't fit. Has someone else already taken the plunge?
dpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #12

why not purchase a new top with glass window from our sponsor GAHH? I just had one installed and it looks and functions great. Look o show and tell as I will post some pics later today.

docdyh
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:

While you can get a good top for that price, don't forget the cost of removal of the old top and installation and the new one, which can be up to $500 more.

Here's a link to the Car Top Guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-97-02-BLACK-TOP-convertible-w-window_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33652QQitemZ8055 541072QQtcZphoto
Old 04-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #14

Anyone else try this guy?

Can't beat the price. Wow. Maybe Ill change colors.

ct_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote