Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #1

Air Bag Deactivation

Does anyone have the information on how to modify the 944 seat belt buckle to fit in the Boxster or 911 air bag deactivation bar? I read that there was a post on doing this but can't find any information or diagram on how to grind the 944 buckle to fit so you can use any brand child seat and still turn off the passenger air bags. Also let me know if you have any 944 buckles laying around we can cut up.I could use a deactivation bar if you have a used one at a resonable price or a Porsche child seat you no longer need.

Rickw1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
bmussatti

What year is your Boxster?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #3

1999 Boxster

The car is a 1999.

Thanks
Rick
Rickw1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The thread with all the information on modifying a 944 buckle was edited a while back and all the pictures where deleted. Luckily, I downloaded a copy of it before this happened, just in case. Here's a PDF and the pictures that you need. The PDF prints out the correct size if I remember correctly.

Let us know how it goes, and if you want to post tips once you finish that would be great.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
The thread with all the information on modifying a 944 buckle was edited a while back and all the pictures where deleted. Luckily, I downloaded a copy of it before this happened, just in case. Here's a PDF and the pictures that you need. The PDF prints out the correct size if I remember correctly.

Let us know how it goes, and if you want to post tips once you finish that would be great.
From the deep!

Rick3000, do you still have this PDF?

I have the bar and a 944 buckle, just gotta start cuttin'!
CraigM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Send me a PM with your email, and I will send them over.

Best,
-Rick
Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #7

Thanks! I'll update the thread if I come across anything to add.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #8

The buckle is available from porscheshop uk. I purchased mine there. No question of fit, works perfectly with my deactivation bar. This was the only source for this product I have found. Alternatively, you can purchased a used Porsche car seat that has the buckle attached and remove it for use with your car seat.

My 1998 986 has the following setup: 2014 Porsche Booster seat (no buckle, bought new from dealer who matched on-line pricing), deactivation bar (installed by me, verified and activated by dealer), and the Porscheshop.uk buckle. All works like a charm. The setup was expensive (seat, deactivation bar, activation of the deactivation bar (PIWIS dealer), and the Porscheshop.uk buckle (about $25+ shipping to USA).

Seats Baby & Child

Last edited by b55er; 02-20-2015 at 12:27 PM.
b55er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #9

Dang! Would have bought that buckle if I knew. But I have a 944 buckle on my bench, so I'm gonna give this a shot sometime in the next week or so. Gotta finish de-ambering first...
Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #10

Finished - and it works perfect. Clicks right in and makes the perfect "ka-chink" sound. Like I said above, if I had found that Porscheshop.uk buckle before purchasing a used 944 buckle, I would have done that. Looks like a few companies in the past have produced and then discontinued a version of the buckle, didn't know there was a current iteration on the market.

Anyways, big thanks to Rick3000 - PDFs were perfect! Hope to get it activated next week, and change my 2 year old's world. He'll just sit in this car for hours while I work on stuff in the garage, making awesome car noises and telling his 1 year old brother in the passenger seat all about how "black Porsche fast!"