Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #1

Dead Battery -- Trickle Charger didn't work?

We learned the hard way this winter that our '04 Box will drain a battery faster than our 18 year old son will empty a Red Bull: after sitting for 2-3 months, the battery is dead. Really dead. I hooked up a trickle charger through the "fuse block / door latch" connection, but even after several hours there wasn't enough "oomph" to pop the hood. Other than buying and trying a battery tender that works through the cigarette lighter--the CTEK model looks like a good choice--does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Cheers!
Humble Programmer
,,,^..^,,,

http://www.humble-programmer.com/images/Plaque0000.jpg
humble_programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #2

Most likely prepare to purchase a new battery. Each time a battery is discharged, it's abilities are severely lessened, about 3 total discharges and it's kaput. Likewise if it's 3-4 yrs. old - that's the avg. life. Others may have batteries older than this, but it's generally the exception.

Each Boxster comes equipped with a manual release cable for both the front and rear hatches. Normally, these are fitted up under the bumper on the pass side. If you're lucky, you'll find it straightaway. If not, you may need to remove the inner fender to locate it. Once you find it, just pull to open the hood. Then take some tape and locate the cable where you feel it's easily accessible (many put it just inside the pop-out for the tow hook.

In the future, if storing the car, it's best to remove the battery and keep it on a maintainer throughout the winter - you'll get more life out of your battery if you do.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #3

You have 2 problems I guess...

1. Access to the front trunk to charge the battery since you can't maintainer the totally depleted battery through the cigarette lighter. You can gain access several ways..the easiest is to jumper another charged battery through an adapter you can get at radio shack. Instructions here .
2. Then seeing if the battery is good and, if not, replacing it. A list here of batteries known to fit. Also some suggestions on maintainers.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #4

I have a question: When you store your car, do you lock it? Is the alarm system draining the battery? I don't lock mine and after 6 weeks it starts right up.

Thats been my experience.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #5

Patience young Paduan: after hooking up the trickle charger to the fuse panel and leaving it on for about 36 hours, the 'charge' needle crawled about 1% to the right. I hit the hood release button, but still nothing; on a hunch I tamped down all the fuses, locked/unlocked the car with the key, and hit the button again: *CLICK*. Success! I immediately replaced the battery ($225 at the only stealership in town) and we're back in business!

Two final questions, though: (1) can anyone explain (preferably in non-technical terms) what the rubber hose that connects to the side of the battery is for? And (2) is the ex-battery worth anything?

http://www.humble-programmer.com/images/Plaque0000.jpg
humble_programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble_programmer
One last question, though: can anyone explain (preferably in non-technical terms) what the rubber hose that connects to the side of the battery is for?
Ventilation of battery gases.

A Porsche battery is even cheaper than Red Bull!

Last edited by bmussatti; 04-06-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #7

Garage
Hummble_Programmer,

You could have saved a $125 by going to Auto Zone or O' Reilly, plus getting a nationwide warranty from a business that stays open 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.