Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #1

Question Squeaky Clutch and Brakes

Hello all,

First time Porsche owner... just bought a black/black 2000 base boxster. I got rid of my 350z about 2 years ago and think the boxster is way more fun than the Z.

I'm also excited about the boxster because it seems to be easy to DIY... Such as I painted my brake calipers, installed an Ipod cable and installed rear speakers all in less than 2 days.

I have two things that really bother me and make me sink in my seat when i'm driving my box.

1. Squeaky clutch. When I push the clutch in, it makes a loud squeaking noise. At first i thought it was coming from the pedal assembly but after more inspection its coming from outside behind the drivers seat... i'm assuming the transmission area? Is there a way to easily lube something to get this to go away?

2. The brakes squeak very easily. I'm finding myself either trying to apply the brakes extra hard so they don't squeak or trying to down shift enough to not have to put the brakes on. The dealer looked at the squeaky brakes when I just had the 60k service done last week and said the pads were new but it didn't have dampners installed. I thought only "S" models had dampners installed?

Thanks for any help and great forum. Very informative.

Noah382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:58 AM   #2

When I bought my 03, my clutch squeaked also, but mine was the linkage above the pedal. A quick shot of WD-40 fixed it.
I had extremely squeaky brake pads on my TR8. They would squeak even without the brakes applied as you were driving. Chirp chirp chirp, talk about annoying. Tried everything to get them to stop squeaking, applied that goo on the back of the pads, made sure the shims were installed correctly, lubed everything, sanded the pads, turned the rotors, even replaced the wheel bearings. The brake pads were not new but were barely worn. It was very frustrating. I finally replaced the pads and they have never squeaked again. I'd suggest taking this route from the beginning.

Dave S.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #3

I've got a '97 and the clutch pedal squeeks when the car is cold. I've learned if I'm careful to push the clutch in with central pressure on the pedal it stops. It also quits when warmed up. I've tried the WD-40 and had no luck. Maybe I'm not hitting the correct area?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #4

Squeaky Boxter clutch pedal

I tried several times to fix this before figuring out what needs to be done. If you run your hand up the back of the clutch pedal you'll come to a linkage rod that is attached to the back of the pedal. This is what pushes the slave cylinder in. You need a small can of WD-40 or equiv with a spray tube to fit up in there. I held the can with one hand down between the clutch and brake pedal, and with the other, was able to direct the spray tube to this linkage. Then doing the same thing, go further up to where the clutch pedal actually attaches to the bracket. You can't get to this part from the front or below...that's why you need the small WD-40 can. I actually took a longer tube off a larger can and used it with the small can. Spray generously on both areas. I put a few towels down to cover the carpet first...it will drip down the pedal. With your hand...work the pedal a dozen times or so. Then let the rest soak in. Seems to have done the trick. It's only been a day, but so far so good! Went for a 40 mile ride and it's nice to not sound like I'm stepping on a rats tail every time I shift. It was driving me crazy!
Attached Images

e-rick is offline   Reply With Quote