Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #1

Question about ramps...

I'm wanting to buy a set for oil changes... my brother-in-law brought up a good question. Is the Boxster too low to ride up on ramps without hitting the bumper? I have a slight incline on my drive which would help, but I'm not always going to put it on ramps in the drive. I'd like to do it in the garage as well for other things.
Anyway, if anyone has any info in this area I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #2

That's a good question with regard to store-bought ramps---one that I don't have an answer to. (I'm sure you'll get responses from those that do.) If you have any extra lumber laying around (or want to buy some), you can do what I did: I made ramps using 2 X 8 planks. (I did this a long time ago, for my Toyota---If I was doing it now, I'd use 2 X 10s.) You can choose the lengths so as to make a gradual "climb" so that everything on the Box will clear.

As you may have noticed, I later added little pieces of 1 X 8 to make ascending the ramps a little easier. (It worked pretty well without them, as well.)

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #3

For oil changes?? I'd get a good quality floor jack and a set of stands, I think these tools are superior to ramps.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 AM   #4

getting the rear of the boxster up on ramps (lets say for an oil change) is not a problem, plenty of clearance even if your car is lowered. Now getting the front up on ramps (can't think of too many reasons you might do that), depending on the ramp and if your car is lowered you may have clearance issues.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
For oil changes?? I'd get a good quality floor jack and a set of stands, I think these tools are superior to ramps.
For a lot of jobs, I'd agree with you on that. But for oil changes, I can have the job well under way by the time you get your car jacked up and onto stands. The pictured ramps are really easy, quick, and secure.

Two other points: When I do my oil changes, I drive UP the sloped driveway, then back onto the ramps. That way, the car is level when I go to drain oil. Secondly, with my setup with the 2 X 8s, the climb is gradual enough that it works well (ie clears everything) in front as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #6

I bought a set of plastic (8000lb) ramps at AutoZone for (I think) $39. My Boxster backed up onto the ramps with absolutely no trouble, and the ramps were high enough for me to get the headers off and back on.
sd_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
For a lot of jobs, I'd agree with you on that. But for oil changes, I can have the job well under way by the time you get your car jacked up and onto stands. The pictured ramps are really easy, quick, and secure.

Two other points: When I do my oil changes, I drive UP the sloped driveway, then back onto the ramps. That way, the car is level when I go to drain oil. Secondly, with my setup with the 2 X 8s, the climb is gradual enough that it works well (ie clears everything) in front as well.
+1. Ramp is a lot easier and faster.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
FTD

Same for me... I've used ramps for years and years and they work great for the Boxster oil change. Much quicker than jacking the car and positioning stands. I also back onto a slope so that the car is level when it is ramped. Very slick.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #9

+1 for ramps. No problem getting the rear up on ramps even with my lowered car. In addition to everything the others have said, they feel safer when I'm under the car versus jack stands. Also good for adjusting suspension while it is under load.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces

+1... and you're eventually gonna need them anyway.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #11

For my oil changes, I jack the car up one one side in the rear, place a jackstand under a the alternate hard point, scoot under the car, loosen the drain plug w/ pan in position, and then lower the car back down to level.

After 30 min., I raise the car, replace the drain plug, do the filter swap and lower the car a final time before filling w/ new oil. 45min max. (incl. 30 min drain time).
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
+1... and you're eventually gonna need them anyway.

LOL @ a jack taking too long, you guys doing pit stops or oil changes? I bought an all aluminum lightweight floor jack and it's paid for itself many times.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #13

Hey, why work harder and take longer than you need to? I have the jack and stands, but don't bother with them for a simple oil change.

No, I'm not running a pit stop, but I see no point in knowingly making a task any harder (or more time-consuming) than necessary. But that's just me...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Hey, why work harder and take longer than you need to? I have the jack and stands, but don't bother with them for a simple oil change.

No, I'm not running a pit stop, but I see no point in knowingly making a task any harder (or more time-consuming) than necessary. But that's just me...

I meant no insult to you, sorry if you thought I did. My thought is, align ramps, maneuver car onto ramps = get jack under the back jacking plate, raise car, place safety stand and jump in...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #15

Hey, no offense taken. You're right, it's really pretty much a toss-up when you get right down to it.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 AM   #16

Thanks for the feedback guys! Looks like I'll be heading out this weekend to buy some ramps! I just didn't want to go and then find that they didn't work... looks like it should work out fine!
Thanks.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #17

Like Frodo I have used 2x10s (but not as nice as his), and I have used trailer ramps (not with the trailer). The ramps were not as good as I had thought. Backing off scared me.

You really don't need much lift as long as you are willing to lie on your back and reach a bit. I believe Pelican Parts had the "no-lift" instructions.

My metal ramps are too steep, by the way. Are you guys voting for ramps using those low composite-type ramps (Elephant maybe?)??
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:04 AM   #18
FTD

Mine are made of resin or whatever that is. They are 10 or 15 years old and still sturdy/durable. I made a point of getting a low incline. I suppose if your driveway has a slope to it, it will determine the incline you want, but if ramping in the garage, the low incline was necessary for both of my cars.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #19

I used to have my wife hold the car up (amazing woman), but now I use ramps and jacks like lil bastard. Easy, fast and most important, safe. I had a jack blow on me years ago, and nearly got squished.

gunmetalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #20

Personally, I think you gotta be crazy to get under a car that is on a slope. Level with wheels blocked is the only safe way to go. I would suggest Lil' Bastards method or a jack and good stands. I use ramps and jackstands myself. I can't see risking my life to save 15 minutes on an oil change.

Just my opinion.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote