Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 AM   #1

Zeintop

Hello,

How hard is it to install Zeintop for beginner to average mechanic? I mean does it require anything else than screwdriver? I'm thinking to get Zeintop soon, so any tips would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone has picture of zeintop on the boxs please reply with the picture

Old 03-05-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Try doing a search, there a few pictures of them on here along with information about installing them.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #3

Well I did the search but couldn't find any step by step installation instruction. There are few pictures but not as many as I would like to see. So...
Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 AM   #4

Why don't you contact Zeintop directly and ask them for the installation instruction?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #5

Zeintec will send you a copy of the intructions.

I fitted mine myself and it's not majorly difficult, a 5mm allen key is about all you'll need.

If you can change brake pads you'll be fine with the top.
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:43 AM   #6

Got the manual from zeintec. Luckily it doesn't look so hard. The only problem is probably the wiring through the firewall since I've never fiddle with the boxs wiring. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
Got the manual from zeintec. Luckily it doesn't look so hard. The only problem is probably the wiring through the firewall since I've never fiddle with the boxs wiring. Thanks!
It's really quite easy - easy than the manual makes it look, but here's a couple of tips:-

1) The cable is a h shape - the end with the two connectors goes closest to the back of the car and the single connector end goes to the demister plug.

2) When you fit the hatch, remove the hinges from the roof (which they come attached too) and attach them to the hatch first instead - you'll find it much easier to attach it that way, rather than the other way round.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #8

I picked up a rumor

that there was some legal trouble between Porsche and Zeintop. Wonder if they can survive and if repair parts will be available? Or if existing tops will suddenly become cheap?

Might be worth exploring.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/boxster-cayman/146840-zeintop-986-a.html
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #9

Blimey, hope not as I'm waiting for my warranty replacement top!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 AM   #10

I pulled the trigger today and bought me a zeintop. Kind of expensive...hope it's worthed it!

It's going to be painted first into arctic silver to match the boxs, then shipped to me in Japan via air. Hopefully I'll get it before April. Will post pics when I get it installed!
Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #11

Chippy,

Why did you need a replacement top already?

I still haven't worked the "kinks" out of mine yet (adjustments). I don't know if the upper hatch hinges are offset more towards the driver's side or there is something I am missing in the 30+ hours I've spent trying to get it right.

For one reason or another, when everything else is aligned perfectly, there is a larger gap on the passenger side between the hatch and body (where the oem trunk used to be).

Further note, the gap seems to be still present towards the top of the Zeintop, and there is no way to correct this (only fore and aft adjustments on each side).

My other complaint, which I have emailed both Gramme and Kari about is that when the trunk lid is closed, the "wings" stick up more than the rest of the top and body. The top's previous owner had the same issues as far as I can see in his pictures. It doesn't look like yours has this problem, so it's probably corrected by now.

**back on topic***

Overall, I am sure you will LOVE your Zeintop as much as I do. I never plan on removing it. Initial fitments are not complicated at all, working out fine details if you are a stickler is another story. As you've probably read, quality is about 8 out of 10, only downsides are a few cosmetic issues such as headliner, weatherstripping, etc. Most of these can be addressed yourself if you're handy. I would HIGHLY recommend this top to anybody. To say the least, it has changed my life!
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #12

Thanks for sharing the experience!

I did not purchase the wing because the picture without the wing seems to grow on me.

I noticed that the usage instruction do not specify us to remove the softtop. Does it mean that we only need to remove the softtop cover (the outer body piece with paint that cover the softtop) and just leave the softtop in folding position?

Out of curiosity, I asked the Zeintec whether it is possible for them to fit a sunroof on it, but they said nobody has ever done it before and especially it would void the warranty. I figured the rear window is kind of huge anyway, so I could live without the sunroof
Old 03-12-2009, 04:13 AM   #13

Quote:
I pulled the trigger today and bought me a zeintop. Kind of expensive...hope it's worthed it!

It's going to be painted first into arctic silver to match the boxs, then shipped to me in Japan via air. Hopefully I'll get it before April. Will post pics when I get it installed!

If you ordered in the past few days, best guess is that'll you'll see it late May/June.

The general consensus is that from paying to receiving is 3-4 months.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by releese78
Chippy,

Why did you need a replacement top already?

I still haven't worked the "kinks" out of mine yet (adjustments). I don't know if the upper hatch hinges are offset more towards the driver's side or there is something I am missing in the 30+ hours I've spent trying to get it right.

For one reason or another, when everything else is aligned perfectly, there is a larger gap on the passenger side between the hatch and body (where the oem trunk used to be).

Further note, the gap seems to be still present towards the top of the Zeintop, and there is no way to correct this (only fore and aft adjustments on each side).

My other complaint, which I have emailed both Gramme and Kari about is that when the trunk lid is closed, the "wings" stick up more than the rest of the top and body. The top's previous owner had the same issues as far as I can see in his pictures. It doesn't look like yours has this problem, so it's probably corrected by now.
Basically the paintwork on mine is sh*gged. It's all bubbled on the hatch and a little on the roof.

Apart from being bl**dy annoying, I'll have to totally restart all the tweeking when the replacement arrives, which I'd just about got spot on before the bubbles appeared!

Have you got any pics of your problems? After the hours and hours I've spent buttholing around with mine, I might be able to offer up some sugggestions
Old 03-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy
If you ordered in the past few days, best guess is that'll you'll see it late May/June.

The general consensus is that from paying to receiving is 3-4 months.
I got the delivery date of March 25th, so I should see it in early April because I should give it some days to pass customs. It's incredible that they can deliver it in just few weeks and painted!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Basically the paintwork on mine is sh*gged. It's all bubbled on the hatch and a little on the roof.
Damn, that's some kind of paint job. Hopefully you'll get the replacement soon.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
I got the delivery date of March 25th, so I should see it in early April because I should give it some days to pass customs. It's incredible that they can deliver it in just few weeks and painted!
Yes "too good to be true" is the phrase I think you're after. I know of orders that are now three months old that still haven't been shipped yet, but this has to be expected for a custom made item I guess.

Zeintec do have an annoying habit of quoting unrealistic delivery dates on their invoices. When I originally ordered, I paid on the 4th August with a delivery date of 29th August....it eventually shipped on the 27th October - arrived on the 22nd November.....almost 4 months! Take what's on your invoice with a pinch of salt!

If you get yours in April, I'll eat my shorts
Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #18

Quote:

If you get yours in April, I'll eat my shorts

And I'll eat my bra. Chippy is correct - delivery times run at a minimum of 3 months. I can't fathom why Zeintec aren't up front about this and insist on quoting an unrealistic lead time. Still, I'm sure you'll like your top, when it arrives. Don't be too alarmed if it creaks a lot, as is common with any non-integral 'floating' body part. You'll get used to it.
Photogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #19

It is possible to really reduce alot of the creaks using sticky back neoprene tape and in some cases a dremel

I'll take some pics of areas that are worth a bit of extra cusioning and will post a webpage when I get chance of helpful hints.

Should be done by the time yours arrives