Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

waterpump diy?

anyone ever do a waterpump as a diy? tried searching but couldn't find anything. any tips or tricks or should i just bring it in for $800. also what else do people use change when doing the waterpump? thanks

mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #2

If you're even slightly mechanically inclined, you CAN replace your water pump yourself. It's easy. I replaced mine about 6 months ago. Cost about $140 for the pump and a new belt (I replaced the belt since I was in there)

I did it all with cheap walmart ramps and without removing the seats.

Take off the carpet covering over the access plate in the cabin, then remove the plate. I think ALL of the bolts are 10mm. Once you're in, you'll be able to see the water pump basically right behind the passenger's azz. A u-joint ratchet extension (one of those thingies that lets you get on at an angle) is a must. One or two of the top bolts are hard to get at, but definitely not too difficult with the right tool.

The biggest pain to me was loosening the hoses. They were a B*TCH.

Don't let that discourage you, if you have a degree of mechanical aptitude, you can get it replaced for well under $200 and a few hours of time.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #3

Hi,

I replaced the water pump myself also, very easy to do and you should be able to get it done for under $140.00.
I bought a rebuilt on ebay for $98.00 and came with the copper seal.
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #4

Hi, I also replaced my waterpump a couple of months ago with an $150 aftermarket one, it lasted 30 days then the pully broke off the shaft, so I let the shop do the next one with an oem pump, would have done it myself again but was closer to the shop and the weather was bad. I know.... lame excuses .... wasn't a hard diy but not a job i wanted to do twice. Got my money back for the bad one, they said it had a bad weld. Oh well.

Anyway my tip is to use a hair dryer to heat up the hoses a bit then they slipped right off.

Good luck
dave
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #5

I replaced mine last weekend. It really wasn't that bad. If your boxster is a 1997-2005 or S model up to 2005 (it says it won't include 2000 on the site but they are wrong since thats what I have) and it's not a turbo version whatever that is, then you need to go to rockauto.com. Get the one for $89.79 like I did. No more leak. This includes a gasket and shipping is only about 10 bucks if I remember correctly. The rest is just unscrewing the bottom and backseat of the car (use jack stands or something like that but don't use a jack) to access the hose, some screws on bottom, and screws on top. I didn't replace my belt but I probably should have. I would recomend this if it's been a while. All bolts are 10mm I believe. Good luck.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #6

The Bentley manual has a good explaination of it. With pictures.
suburban99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #7

sorry to bring up an old thread but where are you guys getting these nice prices on water pumps?

our '03 boxster type s JUST had the IMS bearing replaced with the LN engineering piece, and somehow the shop claims another noise we're hearing is the waterpump.

car has a little over 30K, driven in so cal, barely driven up until lately..before it sat for long periods of time.

EVOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #8

Apparently 986 pumps have gone up recently... Best price I could find on an oem was at Sunset Porsche 800-346-0182. Definitely a great time to replace the serpentine belt while you're in there, if it's at all needing it.
-ian

favino1006 is offline   Reply With Quote