Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #1

distance

hi

how many kilo meters do you drive by your car everyday? and is this distance driven for work or a daily obligation or just hanging out ?

e7lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #2

My commute in my BMW is about 8 kilometers per day round trip. I live very close to where I work. I drive my Boxster about 250 kilometers per month on average. It sits in the garage until the these three things come together:

The weather is beautiful.
The car doesn't need repairs.
I have the time to drive it.

I have all but sorted out my car now and something does not break every time I drive it so #2 is not much of an issue any longer.

You will find that there are two types of owners on this form. Guys like me and then people who use their cars as their only car and they drive it everywhere... they probably put 15k~18k kilometers on their cars per year or more and enjoy ever minute of it, by the way
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 AM   #3

I would want to know "how many miles / klicks" should I drive the car to work?

I live 3 miles from work... not far enough to get the engine and exhaust up to temp. I know its hard on the DD, so I don't want to do that to the Box (when it come out of winter hibernation).

So what is the minimum miles to drive?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #4

Vath, you make an excellent point.

Motor oil has it's best viscosity and ability to lubricate the parts of the motor when it is up to full temp. So, bringing the car up to temp as often as possible is certainly preferred.

Allowing the motor to idle at startup for a few minutes while you run into the house to brush your teeth or swill that last half cup of coffee before leaving wouldn't be a bad move, although idling boxsters don't heat up the motor fast, but it should help.

I did this this very morning. I was driving two blocks to meet a couple of buddies for breakfast and knew the car would never warm up and my 1-2 and 2-1 shifts would be brutal if the car was cold (a peculiar cold start tranny issue with my car) so I pulled it out of the garage, left it idling, and took out my California car duster and wiped the car down.

BTW, I always keep my motor under 4k until I am at operating temp. The variocam kicks in at 4200 on a 986 and it's hard on a cold motor to rev the motor that high when the oil is not up to temp for thorough lubrication.

If my box was my DD with my tiny commute, I might be inclined to actually take a longer way to the office. Or, take it out at lunch two or three times a week and really drive the piss out of it (revs to 6k in gears 1-4), which may shorten engine life a little but I swear my motor absolutely loves when I do it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
FTD

My excellent commute to work is 6 miles of stop and go 'back road'. I like to pre-heat the engine, or at the least, wait until the choke is in before driving. The engine temp reaches 180 within only two or three miles.

I conscientiously make sure the car gets highway miles periodically.

I believe in running up the RPMs, once engine temp, is 180 when possible.

All of Randall's points are excellent, except I don't think high RPMs shorten engine life. It is good for both of you.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
bmussatti

I drive a ton.

My DD (2007 Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer 4X4 V8) gets about 57,000 kilometrs per year (40,000).

I drive the Boxster about once per week, on sunny weekends. When I take it for a drive, I'll go for 500-600 kilometers, then park it till the next weekend.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #7

I drive 30miles or so each way for work. So typically ~60miles a day 5 days a week. Sometimes hundreds more on the weekends.

I expect somewhere around 20K a year on the boxster. That's what the previous owner did and I will do the same.

65,555 as of today.

*note* I run it to redline many times per trip, I-90 is 70mph where I am and I rarely go that slow. I always take it easy until the motors up to temp, but then wring the hell out of it. the little 2.7 still runs great.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle

Last edited by 944boy; 02-24-2009 at 05:24 PM.
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
My schedual alternates, based on the day of the week, but it averages out to about 25 miles a day. If you subtract roadtrips from that it's about 18-20 miles a day.

(I hit 35K miles today!!! )
Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #9

my daily commute is about 100 kilometres/62 miles round trip - of which 65k/40mi is two lane, mountainous road.

those 40 miles are usually the best part of my day...
maxtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #10

Both of our P-cars are mainly weekend toys or used on nice sunny days. When I do take them out I make sure they are driven long enough to bring it to normal operating temps. I do take both out to work once a week if weather is good. Work is about 22 miles round trip. Nice freeway ride to work but going home tends to be more stop and go.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
The engine temp reaches 180 within only two or three miles.

I believe in running up the RPMs, once engine temp, is 180 when possible.
Just a little FYI - the 180 degrees on your gauge refers to your coolant temperature, not your oil temperature. Oil warms up more slowly than coolant, so keep that in mind. For reference, my old MFA-equipped VR6 would take about 10 minutes to hit 170+ oil temp (a loose "warmed up" temperature), while the coolant would hit the middle (whatever that was, but "warm") in about 3-4 minutes. That was for 5.8 quarts, and I'd imagine the Boxster takes a bit longer, what with almost twice the amount of oil.

Also, letting your car "warm up" isn't a great idea. In addition to not really warming anything up besides the engine (and not the transmission etc), it can foul plugs and plug catalytic converters.

Anyway, to answer the original question, when I drive the IS, I'd guess 5 miles to and 4 miles from work with the random 10+ mile trip thrown in for good measure. When I drive the Boxster (rarely to work - mostly just for kicks), 15-20 seems to be the norm.

Samson is offline   Reply With Quote