Thread: distance
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
RandallNeighbour

Vath, you make an excellent point.

Motor oil has it's best viscosity and ability to lubricate the parts of the motor when it is up to full temp. So, bringing the car up to temp as often as possible is certainly preferred.

Allowing the motor to idle at startup for a few minutes while you run into the house to brush your teeth or swill that last half cup of coffee before leaving wouldn't be a bad move, although idling boxsters don't heat up the motor fast, but it should help.

I did this this very morning. I was driving two blocks to meet a couple of buddies for breakfast and knew the car would never warm up and my 1-2 and 2-1 shifts would be brutal if the car was cold (a peculiar cold start tranny issue with my car) so I pulled it out of the garage, left it idling, and took out my California car duster and wiped the car down.

BTW, I always keep my motor under 4k until I am at operating temp. The variocam kicks in at 4200 on a 986 and it's hard on a cold motor to rev the motor that high when the oil is not up to temp for thorough lubrication.

If my box was my DD with my tiny commute, I might be inclined to actually take a longer way to the office. Or, take it out at lunch two or three times a week and really drive the piss out of it (revs to 6k in gears 1-4), which may shorten engine life a little but I swear my motor absolutely loves when I do it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote