Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #1

OT: What do you think of the new 370Z vs your boxster or a cayman?

having read though the latest car mags, I have to say I think the new Z looks pretty cool. I have test driven the older 350Z and I hated it. It was a total POS in my opinion. My main beefs were that it felt like a cheap car and wasn't all that fast. I've never been a fan of american cars - I don't like the Vettes - and the Z had that "american car" feel to me....

the new Z looks verynice in the pictures. maybe in person it drives lousy - but on paper it looks pretty cool.

C&D did a shootout and had it up against the RX8 R3, and some other cars. I've driven the RX8 and THAT is a fun car, albeit underpowered in that price segment.

If I ever sold my boxster to buy another sports car and did NOT buy another newer boxster, I'd consider the Cayman, and now that I've seen the reviews on the new Z, I wonder how people will consider it up against the likes of a car like a Cayman. I know that people buying a new Cayman are NOT going to be cross shopping a Nissan Z...totally different price point - BUT if you were shopping in the 35k price point - you could get into a used cayman or a new Z.... and they are in a similar class of cars in terms of specs....

i have to say - I would rather have a used cayman, even a base model than the new Z...but I haven't driveneitehr. maybe afte rdriving both i'd be sold on the nissan... it sure doe slook good on paper and in the photos.

any of you test drive one yet? there are a few cars out there that have suprised me in terms of whether I liked them AFTER a test drive. I test drove thelatest EVO X and completely HATED it. it did NOT impress me at all. the same day I test drove an RX8 and loved it. pure sports car - just not super fast. but the feel and handling was close to the boxster in terms of "fun" factor and balance.

the new Z might be a big hit and sell like nuts - or maybe it's just the same old lame Z with slightly nicer interiora nd a bit more power and deep down it's the sasme car. the mags are tyring to tout it as if it were a whole new car recreated.

i dolike how it evokes images of the original 240Z. you can clearly see the 240 in the lines of the new 370. more so than any other Z. at least to me.

I certainly woulnd't sell my boxster (i'd only get like 10k for my car) and then have to shell out 20-25k MORE to get the new Z.... but if I was dead set on a cayman (used) and had only 30-35k to spend - I might give a new Z a test drive. it would probably blow a base cayman off the road - and it sounds like it give shte Cayman S a run for it's money...although I wonder if when you drie it around, and toss it through turns, if the balance/midengined layout of the cayman (and our boxsters) would easily show itself and you would FEEL that the midengined Porsche is far superior in feel and "fun".

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

If you look back on automotive history there have always high-end cars and there have always been lower priced cars with big engines. Nothing, in this regard, will ever change.
boxster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #3

Nope. I owned a 240, 260 and 280 and this car is nothing like them. First, I bought my 240 new for $3345 (with every available option) - less than a new Super Beetle, this thing options out north of $38k!

The original Z was RAW - a large part of it's appeal... this one is too refined, no comparison.

The S30 (240,260,280) weighed 2355lbs. while this porker runs just under 3200lbs.

Interesting that this same engine in the Infinity G37 Coupe is rated at 350HP (though it outweighs it by 400lbs.) , but only 332HP for the Z - Nissan's Sports Car?

They're just marketing on the name... but that'll probably be enough to see reasonable sales numbers, just not me.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-15-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #4

Wink

Looks to me like it would be AWFULLY hard to put the top down on the 370Z's that are available right now...

(And if the 370Z Convertible, once it's eventually released, is as butt-ugly as the 350Z Convertible, well... I don't think I'll be trading in the Killer Banana any time soon.)
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 AM   #5

Z is not comparable to Boxster IMO. Nothing against Japanese cars since I drive one too (Honda), but I think most of the newer sport Japanese car is produced like home appliances, no originality. Before Nissan replaced their president with Carlos Ghosn (Renault head too), the Z was a discontinued product. Carlos Ghosn revived the Z and remade the Z with European style interior etc and stuffed it with bigger engine. However despite their effort, IMO, Z still lack of originality.

If I wanted raw horsepower, then Corvette would be the choice.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 AM   #6

The new Z will have it's niche and will no doubt appeal to many. Nissan has a ways to go before they can fill a resume with the motosports history of Porsche. If it's only about numbers on paper and mind numbing acceleration then get a Vette and be done with it.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #7

I've not driven a 370, but I have driven a 350. Aside from the feeling of sitting in a bathtub (similar feeling in a TT) and the truck-like engine noise from the inside, it was a bunch of fun. Great power, decent feedback, but maybe more importantly, amazingly easy burnouts.

But it is a different car than the Boxster. Where the Boxster is delicate and slightly refined, the 350 is more of a sledgehammer. Both are fun in their own right. The 370 is supposed to be more on the civilized side, and it compares favorably to the Cayman S.

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/versus/Motive_Versus_Nissan_370Z_vs_Porsche_Cayman_S.shtm l

threpwood - I disagree with your originality complaint. All things considered, the 370 is a pretty good evolution of cars like the 300zx. Sure, it has some questionable design details, but they are anything but unoriginal. It has interesting features like SyncroRev.

And Japanese sport cars in general? What's unoriginal about an RX8 or S2000? Those are all very unique in their own right. Rotary, real 4-door coupe (not that CLS or CC abomination), 9k redline on both cars... Sure, the MX-5 is just a modern interpretation of the classic British sports car, but it brought the entire genre back to the masses in a fun, reliable, and affordable way. Without the incredible success of the original Miata, I doubt we'd even have the Boxster.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #8

Seems to be a popular subject right now. Pick up this month's Road and Track.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=10&article_id=7659
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
The only Z I ever drove was in the early '90s and it was only a year old, if that. At the time I had a 944 that was maybe 8 or so years old. Even though the Z was new and perfect and had not a thing wrong with it, I preferred my 944. The Z was nice, don't get me wrong, but it just felt loose and cheap compared to the 944 even though I bought my 944 for about $10k and the dude who had the Z had paid about $30k+ for it.

I just think Porsches are better built and always will be and their beauty is classic.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #10

I've driven a 2003 350z and I didn't care for it too much. As fast and great as the performance is in a car like that, it also feels extremely cheap. And I think that trend continued in the next generation. IMO, I think Nissan can get away with that because most of the people who would want a car like that, probably don't care for luxury. They want a better 0-60 and could care less if the whole interior feels like a plastic toy. Whereas, people like me buy something like a Boxster when they want to go fast... but look really good and have some luxury on the side while you do it.

Personally, I'd take the Boxster anyday of the week. I think Porsche makes a much better and higher quality car. It has that distinct look compared to the overly generic types of cars that you see in Japan. That and you can impress more people by saying your drive a Porsche over a Nissan. There's no doubt that the 370z will sell, that's a given. There's an obvious demand for cars like that. But I really don't think you can compare something delicate and classy like a Boxster to something like a 370z, which is pretty much a jackhammer that'll beat you up everytime you drive it.
Immortal1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #11

I have had several 300zxs in the 1990's variety. I really liked the car. They were all normally aspirated with 5 speed trans. Very simply, handled well, decent power and reasonable on price an upkeep.

I haven't like the sit in the tub feel of the newer 350ZX. I do like the looks however. Used, these cars are a stone bargain.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #12

I owned a 280ZX. I loved the looks and the comfort for a long trip was excellent. However, in terms of sports car feel, the ZX had become too bloated and far from the original concept. Again, I liked the car but I found it to be more of a 2 seat luxury cruiser than a "I wish this road had more curves" dicing tool I feel the Boxster is..
Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #13

The 370Z just doesn't "do" anything for me. I don't care for the styling and the space robot head/tail lights.

I haven't driven one (probably never will) but I've never cared for it's predecessors, either. I've owned one japanese sports car and that was an RX7 back in '79, IIRC; my one and only brief exit from german cars.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1520
...probably don't care for luxury ... and could care less if the whole interior feels like a plastic toy...
Funny you mention that the interior feels like plastic toy. That is, bar none, my biggest complaint with the Boxster.

Not bashing it, as there is no doubt that it is an amazing and fun drivers car, but the interior is cheaper and less well made than a $15k Civic. The flimsy blinker/cruise/wiper stalks feel like they're going to snap off in your hand, the leather doesn't last, the coating on the arm rest/center console peels, etc. The only thing that makes it luxurious is the badge on the steering wheel. My same age IS300 (with 92,000 more miles) feels like it was carved from a block of titanium in comparison. Still looks new, come to think of it. The Boxster, with all of 17k miles, shows more interior wear.

That all said, the 987 was a HUGE step forward in interior quality. Perceived quality, anyway. I've only driven low-mile examples. Hopefully they didn't follow VW and Audi habit of making nice looking things that don't stand up to their intended use.

Last edited by Samson; 03-17-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
Funny you mention that the interior feels like plastic toy. That is, bar none, my biggest complaint with the Boxster.

Not bashing it, as there is no doubt that it is an amazing and fun drivers car, but the interior is cheaper and less well made than a $15k Civic. The flimsy blinker/cruise/wiper stalks feel like they're going to snap off in your hand, the leather doesn't last, the coating on the arm rest/center console peels, etc. The only thing that makes it luxurious is the badge on the steering wheel. My same age IS300 (with 92,000 more miles) feels like it was carved from a block of titanium in comparison. Still looks new, come to think of it. The Boxster, with all of 17k miles, shows more interior wear.

That all said, the 987 was a HUGE step forward in interior quality. Perceived quality, anyway. I've only driven low-mile examples. Hopefully they didn't follow VW and Audi habit of making nice looking things that don't stand up to their intended use.

Porsche never really was a car company known for luxurious interiors, now they have capitulated as other car companies have set the bar for interior comfort.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #16

I used to have a 300ZX Twin Turbo. I loved the straight line performance, but I didn't think that the handling was all that great. I was very close to getting a 350Z when I got the Boxster. I test drove 3 of them but never felt impressed, and I was never totally sold on the looks. The 370Z looks a lot better, and is undoubtedly faster.

Nissan seems to be taking aim at Porsches lately! I am not in 2009 Cayman S territory, but the Z makes a good argument for itself. I would "consider" it, if it's still out when I get my next vehicle.
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Porsche never really was a car company known for luxurious interiors, now they have capitulated as other car companies have set the bar for interior comfort.
I think that came out wrong when I said it last night, haha. Where it is true that the interior isn't anything extremely luxurious, I was comparing it to a 350z. When I was driving that 350z, it really emanated a cheaper feel, that it made the Boxster look a lot better in comparison. I wasn't trying to make it sound like the inside was like... a Merc S-class or something, hahaha.
Immortal1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
100% agree. My point was more related to the quality of the interior, which has nothing to do with the level of amenities.

Immortal - I do think we're on different wavelengths when it comes to the definition of "cheap". The 350z interior looks sparse, but from what I've seen, it is decently well made. The Boxster interior may look nicer in the showroom, but it isn't exactly what I'd call high quality or something that was built to last. Both were obviously built to a price, but to different ends.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #19

i enjoyed reading all the feeback. My point wasn't really to start a direct comparison to the Boxster or Cayman - although I do think you *could* compare the Cayman to the new Z - as the magazines have already been doing.

I just wondered what the typical 986 owner thought of the new Z. I enjoy reading hte car magazines - I take most of what they say with a grain of salt, as I know they are not unbiased. It's still fun to read.

I haven't driven one - not sure I ever will. I did drive the 350Z, and honesty did NOT care for it. the new 370Z looks like they improved the car. I honestly like how it looks, but not enough to want to go out and drive one.

My boxster is a third car / toy. for THAT purpose, I want a drop top. In southern CA it's hard to beat a convertible on a warm sunny day. For the entrance price of a used 986 - the fun factor is one heck of a great deal. (as long as you get a good one and don't get killed on repairs.)

any of you drive a GT-R?? that sounds like quite a car!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #20

interiors 370 vs Boxster

I just signed up for this forum today. I was at the Cleveland Auto Show ten days ago and went back and forth in the new Z and Boxster and Cayman. Mind you I am now only getting into the position where I can begin to think about a used Z, Boxtster or Cayman.

I liked the new Z over the old Z. But I sat in a dark green Boxster with cocoa brown interior and I was blown away. I used to think about a TT until I sat in that Boxster. The Cayman was really something too -- black and red leather.

If Porsche has ugraded its interiors, I would like to know when that happened.

But for now, I hope to learn more from this forum and get into position as a discerning buyer in 2010.

Pieman is offline   Reply With Quote