Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
How much would you pay for 02 S?

I am seeking an opinion from all of you so I can get an idea of what to pay. I found a clean 02 S w/ 67k. What is a fair price, good deal, and screaming hot?

AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 168
Pay moe for a 2003 S or pay less for a 2000 S.

No sense in getting an 02S unless it's an absolute steal compared to a 2000 S.
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,129
Garage
In this economy with 67k miles, depending on the features and overall condition, I would say somewhere between $16-20k. It depends a lot on your local market though. Also, make sure to do your homework, 2002 is when IMS started to become a problem, a lower mileage '00 or '01 S might be better.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Registered User
 
gregdacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Newport, KY
Posts: 202
Village Porsche in Cincy has a 02 base, triple black with 84k miles for $15,995. I imagine they would come down some in the negotiation process.

Oops never mind. I just saw you are from LA. That would a bit of a drive
__________________
Greg
2002 Triple Black, Desnorkled, Bumper Plugs, LN IMSB Upgrade

Last edited by gregdacat; 02-21-2009 at 05:30 PM.
gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Jaxonalden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,209
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH
I am seeking an opinion from all of you so I can get an idea of what to pay. I found a clean 02 S w/ 67k. What is a fair price, good deal, and screaming hot?

You ask "What is screaming hot?" I think this is; Yvonne Strahovski

__________________
Sadly on the outside looking in.
"Drive it like the Doctor ordered"
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Spring Hill, Florida
Posts: 205
In this economy, I would not pay more than $16,000 for the car (and that's for a car in great shape). If you look and find a person who needs to sell their car, you could find one with a newer top with glass window, better stereo, upgraded wheels, etc. So you won't have to spend alot of money upgrading the car.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
You ask "What is screaming hot?" I think this is; Yvonne Strahovski


I would pay full price for that.
AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Kaplan
In this economy, I would not pay more than $16,000 for the car (and that's for a car in great shape). If you look and find a person who needs to sell their car, you could find one with a newer top with glass window, better stereo, upgraded wheels, etc. So you won't have to spend alot of money upgrading the car.
I got the seller to come down to $14.5k. When I saw it today, it is nothing like in the picture. The tires are bald, the color is not silver but more like a light purple (first one I saw in that shade), the back window has 2 small cracks developing, and bumper is dented which needs replacing to make it look new. Engine is still good, but I did not bother to drive it because I was disappointed. Do you think if I get the seller to come down to $12-12.5k, that would be a hot deal? It was listed at $17,500 for several weeks.
AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Registered User
 
husker boxster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH
I got the seller to come down to $14.5k. When I saw it today, it is nothing like in the picture. The tires are bald, the color is not silver but more like a light purple (first one I saw in that shade), the back window has 2 small cracks developing, and bumper is dented which needs replacing to make it look new. Engine is still good, but I did not bother to drive it because I was disappointed. Do you think if I get the seller to come down to $12-12.5k, that would be a hot deal? It was listed at $17,500 for several weeks.

Yeah, $12-12.5k would be a hot deal - for the seller.

Replacing the rear window - ~$400-$500 parts & labor
or
Replacing the entire top - ~$1200-$1500 p&l
New tires - ~$500-$1200 depending on what you get
Repair bumper - ~$800-$1200

You've got $2000-$2500 in known repairs staring at you. What else is hidden but lurking? If the exterior is in such bad condition, why are you so sure the engine was taken care of? Run, don't walk away from this one. It's a BUYER's market. Wait for the pristine example to come along. Boxsters aren't rare, you don't have to jump at the first one that comes along, especially one in this condition.

+1 on Yvonne being screamin hot.
__________________
PCA National HPDE Instructor
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2007 Cayman S - SOLD on Valentine's Day 2013
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-22-2009 at 08:45 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Yeah, $12-12.5k would be a hot deal - for the seller.

Replacing the rear window - ~$400-$500 parts & labor
or
Replacing the entire top - ~$1200-$1500 p&l
New tires - ~$500-$1200 depending on what you get
Repair bumper - ~$800-$1200

You've got $2000-$2500 in known repairs staring at you. What else is hidden but lurking? If the exterior is in such bad condition, why are you so sure the engine was taken care of? Run, don't walk away from this one. It's a BUYER's market. Wait for the pristine example to come along. Boxsters aren't rare, you don't have to jump at the first one that comes along, especially one in this condition.

+1 on Yvonne being screamin hot.
Thank you an I will be moving on to the next one.
AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH
I got the seller to come down to $14.5k. When I saw it today, it is nothing like in the picture. The tires are bald, the color is not silver but more like a light purple (first one I saw in that shade), the back window has 2 small cracks developing, and bumper is dented which needs replacing to make it look new. Engine is still good, but I did not bother to drive it because I was disappointed. Do you think if I get the seller to come down to $12-12.5k, that would be a hot deal? It was listed at $17,500 for several weeks.
I would look for another example of a Porsche Boxster to buy if you have the time for additional looking. Bob // Colorado

Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page