Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #1

Coolest addon for cdr220 ever

I just found this and I ordered it the same day.
It is a virtual CD changer. You plug this box into your cdchanger slot, and then you can plug a IPOD, USB flash drive, or AUX input into the the box and it acts like a cdchanger.
A USB thumb drive will look like 10 CDs, so you make 10 folders of up to 99 songs per folder and you have 990 songs to choose from.

Best thing is it is not expensive.

http://www.solisto.de/en

James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #2

Seems like a good find. But, I could not find capatibility for either Porsche CDR-220 or the Becker CDC-3 (aka Silverstone Model # 2660). They do have one for the Silverstone 2630 (but only in the Pro, Classic and Extra models) and this may work, but someone else willl have to be the guinea pig.

Also, you'd have to figure a way to cover the unit since the access door will be open and subject to dirt, dust, etc. This wouldn't be too difficult though, some kind of shrink wrap comes to mind.

Please report back to us and let us know how it works for you. It'd be an exciting way to do the conversion.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-18-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #3

if you go through the motions of ordering the PRO version, you get to choose which radio you want it for (there are many) and CDR220 is listed. They have two versions, one that plugs into the CD changer cable in the front boot, and one cable that plugs into the radio.
Then you run a cable from the box to a plug on the dash.

Refer to this article.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?perpage=20&threadid=388529

james
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 02-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #4

OK, I see now, You can use it with the CDR-220. But I'm unclear as to whether this allows retention of the CD player or not. Most of the conversions out there require that you take the CD player out of the loop and this one seems to do the same thing.

Reading the thread at Pelican, it appears as if there are only 594 songs available as the CDR-220 HU will only select from up to 6 CDs (CD1, CD2 and so on up to CD6) each with up to 99 songs, equalling 594, not 990 songs. It is the HU not the interface which is the limiting factor.

I see a real advantage as a USB interface, but not for the iPod. For only 1/10th the cost, you can get this iPod connector: iPod connector . You'll also have to wire up the charging cables for the iPod, but the Telephone circuit will provide this. For the fairly limited music library available, the Solisto seems pretty expensive to me.

The Solisto w/ cables and S/H will set you back about $336.00 USD, while a 120GB iPod Classic, a holder and the cable I linked above will run you $250, almost $90 less, and you get waay more than 600 songs. You will have to work the iPod thumbwheel instead of the radio controls.

I'm not trying to be rude or condecsending, I just don't think I get it.
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #5

You are correct, you do not keep your CD changer. but i dont care. I have an Ipod and SAT reciever clogging up my bin and honestly looking very getto. This thing will be hidden away. cant see it.
Instead of CDs rolling aorund my car, getting scratched, i only have to carry a few USB thumb drives.
Also My Ipod is FM modulated, and that is horriable. To hardwire it, I would have to loose the CD changer anyway, but I would have this silly IPOD stuck in the front, falling off when I turn, bumping it when I shift, again getto.

We will see. I will try to document the install and performance. Now i just need to get new speakers.

Any suggestions on Stock fitting speakers? Which ones are the best ever?

James

Last edited by jhandy; 02-18-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #6

Is there an ipod solution for a 987 that allows me to plug in my ipod without doing a lot of modifications and is better than the FM tuning adapter? I am not clear whether this plugs into the CD unit from the front or requires installation from the rear of the radio unit.
vincesf
Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
You are correct, you do not keep your CD changer. but i dont care. I have an Ipod and SAT reciever clogging up my bin and honestly looking very getto. This thing will be hidden away. cant see it.
Instead of CDs rolling aorund my car, getting scratched, i only have to carry a few USB thumb drives.
Also My Ipod is FM modulated, and that is horriable. To hardwire it, I would have to loose the CD changer anyway, but I would have this silly IPOD stuck in the front, falling off when I turn, bumping it when I shift, again getto.

We will see. I will try to document the install and performance. Now i just need to get new speakers.

Any suggestions on Stock fitting speakers? Which ones are the best ever?

James
Thanks, I look forward to your impressions of your new setup.

Can't tell you which aftermarket speakers have a stock fit, but imho, I believe the best car audio speakers on the market today are either CDT's EuroSport series (ES) or Focal's Utopia BE series. Far superior to anything from MBQ, Infinity, JL or such.

Neither comes cheap, and they are distinctively different in their sound, imaging and presence so you'll need to hear them before deciding which you like best.

Don't know if they'll be a direct swap, but again imho, I'd go to some extent to custom fit them if I had to, they're both that good.

Again, good luck!

1999 Porsche Boxster

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-19-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesf
Is there an ipod solution for a 987 that allows me to plug in my ipod without doing a lot of modifications and is better than the FM tuning adapter? I am not clear whether this plugs into the CD unit from the front or requires installation from the rear of the radio unit.
vincesf
Anything?
vincesf
Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
mts

Very cool find. Thanks for posting it.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #10

it is here.

Well it arrived today, 3 days from Germany. It is the size of a cig box, pretty small. I pluged it up, and put in a thumb drive, and wow, all of my music with digital clarity!!! NO more FM modulator!!! I tested the IPOD/Iphone connection, and they work great. Also there is a line in jack for something, not sure what.
now I need a clean way to mount a USB/IPHONE-IPOD/AUX on the dash.
Any ideas?

After i get it mounted and clean i will take pictures. I am off to rip my CD collection.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #11

Hi All. I've been lurking here for a while and decided to jump in on this thread as I bought one of these (Solisto) a while back.

With my HU (CR-22) it gives the full 10x99 tracks on a USB stick. This works fine, but after a while I found it difficult to find the music I wanted - 990 tracks is a lot to search through.

The ipod connection also works fine, but the cable is a bit short. I'm getting an ipod extension cable and that should sort it.

jhandy - I'm interested to know what speaker upgrade you go for, as I'm thinking about doing that also.

sammy_j is offline   Reply With Quote