Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #1

Finished my stereo upgrade!!!

And all I can say is WOW! I did the MB Quarts 6.5" in the door (with my custom mounts I made) the Infinity 4 ways in the dash, a 6" 100 watt Bazooka sub in the passenger well... and a 4x100 infinity amp in the front trunk to power the speakers. What a project... but what sound. Incredible difference from what I had!!! I am very happy as you can tell!!! And I kept the factory HU.

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #2

Have you taken any pics? Lets seem 'em!
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #3

I had MB Quart components in one of my previous rides. Excellent, excellent choice. They are wonderful. Enjoy them.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Cool Congrats !

proud of you. Enjoy.. any pics ?
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #5

I didn't take any pics... yet... but we (my brother-in-law) had some very innovative ways to mount the dash speakers. Since the mounting brackets were molded to the old speaker we didn't have a lot of choices as far as using leftovers. And the tabs on the new Infiniti's were really long. Our solution... We heated a utility knife blade with my torch and melted 2 slits 1/4 down from the edge of the empty housing. That gave us enough room to insert the new speaker/tabs through the housing, by gently rotating it and inserting the tabs. We then bent another tab and screwed it into the side of the housing. the last tab we lined up with one of the original mounting screws that goes into the dash. It worked perfect and we didn't have to mess around with any special mounting hardware!!!

The first door took a while... the second took 1/10th the time since I knew what I was doing. I routed all of the wires for the sub through the firewall seal on the left of the battery that houses other wires. We heated a screw driver and melted our way though... we needed more room than just making a small slit.

Anyway, next is the iPod hook up. That will be easy compared to this.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #6

Cool, the factory stereos are pretty weak in these cars.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote