Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #1

Another wheel fitment. Please Help

Hi Guys,
you are probably tired of this wheel fitment question, and yes I already did a search, and did not see a question like mine. I have a 97 Boxster, and currently use the 17 standard "twist" wheels. I am looking at a set that came off a 99 Carrera Cab. Will these work?

Front- 225/40-18 offset (7.5/50)
Rear- 265/40-18 offset (10/65)

I dont want to purchase any spacers if possible. What will I need?
Thanks

porschefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #2

Here's a great application guide I used when I bought my aftermarket wheels...

http://www.wheeldynamics.net/appguide.html

Your fronts will probably be fine, but the rears will require a 15mm spacer. Our cars require a 50 mm offset to clear the struts.

I ran wide spacers in the back and had no problems, but did find that any wheel imbalance or tire issues were accentuated with spacers on the rear end.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #3

thanks,
that was quick! Here is a picture of the wheels I am looking at. Anyone currently using these on their Boxster?
porschefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #4

Those wheels in your pic are Sport Classic IIs and you can get a factory set made specifically for Boxs with the proper offsets. Then you don't have to worry about the wild offset and big spacers in the rear using SC IIs from a Carrera.

Boxster SC IIs pop up for sale here and on other forums or you could check ebay (be sure to know the offset before making any bids - ads will say they fit a Box but only if you use spacers). The proper offsets for 18s on a Box are 7.5 / 50 front and 9 / 52 rear. I sold an average cond set for Boxsters last yr for $750 - with the depressed economy you may be able to find some for less. They look fantastic on a Box but they are a pain in the a$$ to keep clean.

Take your time and get the proper size.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #5

Rear tires for 986 should be 265/35/18, 265/40/18 is about half an inch too thick.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
They look fantastic on a Box but they are a pain in the a$$ to keep clean..
+1 on that thought, which I had after I saw your pix but didn't make the comment public until now.

Our brake pads create a lot of highly charged metal particles that are "sticky" and will make clean rims look dirty in less than two hours of driving. On these rims, that's a lot of extra work to get into all those nooks and crannies to clean them properly.

Be sure to use some good wheel wax if you buy them to cut down on the brake dust buildup.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote