Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #1

Heated Seat Question

I have the opportunity to trade my stock seats, which are heated for sports seats off a GT3 with 600 bucks on top. The sport seats are not heated so I would probably lose that feature.

My question is can the heating element be moved from the stock seat to the sport seat? or is there anyway to retrofit it in. Is this a good sacrifice?

Let me know your thoughts

thanks!

Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #2

I have installed aftermarket seat heaters into other sportscars before -- it was easy, just kinda slow (all afternoon while watching a football game sort of thing.) It's a matter of removing the seat cover -- that's the only challenge, really. All cars are different and I have no idea how the GT3 seat covers are installed. Regular passenger seats would not be a problem. But you need to either examine some GT3 seats yourself or ask more specifically if anyone knows how the covers come off.

Good luck -- losing the heaters would be a deal killer for me!

Matt

Edit: just re-read your post -- looks like you're talking about regular sports seats, as delivered in the U.S. GT3, not GT3 seats. That should be pretty straightforward. Take the seat out and set it on your bench. Figure out what sort of fasteners are holding the cover on down at the bottom/back. If they're hog-rings, you can just snip them all and use zip ties when you reinstall. Or, of you want a car that will win at Pebble Beach in 30 years, replace them with new hog rings.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 01-13-2009 at 04:02 PM.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 AM   #3

Stud, you have a PM
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #4

Im going to be swaping my stock seats with the porsche sport seats this weekend. I did some research and found that sport seats do come in heated form, found on some turbo's but very rare. I also found that that the seat bottoms are the same for both regular and sport version.

does anyone think I can swap bottoms of the seats or is the heating element on the seat back aswell?

hate to lose the heated seat but love the look of the sport seats.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #5

Not sure exactly what sports seat you're looking at, but the sports seats in my Boxster (2004 Anniversary Ed.) are heated. It's a common option for that model, as the sports seats were standard. I don't think many regular 986s opted for the sports seats. Oh, and the seat bottoms and backs are both heated.

By the way, I hate the sports seats and would swap even with somebody if it weren't for the fact that mine are Cocoa Brown and the only way that color was offered on 986 was the Anniversary, all of which had sports seats. I hate how the shoulder bolsters pinch my shoulders forward; after a short time I feel like I need to get out of the car and throw my shoulders back to keep from collapsing in on myself. The bolsters, rather than wrapping around your midsection like a good sports seat should, flare out up at shoulder height, and it's not so comfortable. FWIW, I'm 6', 180 pounds, fairly normal build.

Matt

Here's a bad picture of my seats, but you can see the big shoulder bolsters.

Last edited by NoGaBiker; 01-14-2009 at 04:30 PM.
NoGaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I hate how the shoulder bolsters pinch my shoulders forward; after a short time I feel like I need to get out of the car and throw my shoulders back to keep from collapsing in on myself.

The bolsters, rather than wrapping around your midsection like a good sports seat should, flare out up at shoulder height, and it's not so comfortable. FWIW, I'm 6', 180 pounds, fairly normal build.

Matt
My thoughts and my build exactly. I started out wanting them until I sat in them.

Altho I don't think he's talking about the Boxster sport seats.

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote