Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 AM   #1

Stiff Shifter?

Hey folks. Noob to the board here. I just picked up my first Boxster (but 2nd Porsche) on Saturday and over the past 48+ hours, I've noticed that the shifter is very stiff (side-to-side only), even to the point of not returning to the 3-4 gate from either the 1-2 or 5-6 gates under it's own spring tension when it's cold. I don't think that this is normal, since when I picked up the car, I tried out the shifter on a newer 996 turbo at the shop and it was very easy to move side-to-side. Are there bushings that go bad? Lubrication that could be done? Tranny fluid needing to be replaced? Worn out shifter begging for a 997 part swap? The fact that it loosens up somewhat once the car is warmed up leads me to believe that it's at least partially tranny fluid related, but I'm not entirely sure, being new to the car.
Thanks,
Pete

pchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #2

It is a stock or after market shifter? The B&M type short shifter have adjustment nuts to tweek the end play. If they are over tightened they can cause the shifter not to center.
Pry up the shift boot and see what you have. If it is the stock shifter you might try to get a little white lithium grease in the pivots.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #3

Yes, definately pull up the boot and see if it has an aftermarket shifter in it. My guess is you do and it's not adjusted properly and there is too much tension on the bushings. As Tamarsha said the aftermarket shifters have an adjustment where you can put tension on the bushings whereas the stock shifter does not.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #4

there is a small hole in front of th unit when you take the knob/boot off and you can use an allen wrench to tighten or loosen it. I did this with the B&M.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #5

OK, I just checked and it is definitely a stock shifter. Also, while jiggling the shifer, it seems like the stiffness is coming from the cable (or tranny I guess) itself. Do these cables go bad?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #6

'If you experience a stiff shifter that lasts longer than 4 hours, a condition known as priapism, seek immediate medical help'...
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #7
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
'If you experience a stiff shifter that lasts longer than 4 hours, a condition known as priapism, seek immediate medical help'...
I knew there was a comment in there somewhere - and you pulled it off. Or out.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchase
OK, I just checked and it is definitely a stock shifter. Also, while jiggling the shifer, it seems like the stiffness is coming from the cable (or tranny I guess) itself. Do these cables go bad?
I don't understand. I wouldn't think there would be any cable pull under side to side motion, just up and down motion through the gears. The cables are attached to the bottom end of the shifter via a ball and cup. You might want to see if there is some binding there.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #9

There are two cables. One for North/South and the other for East/West. A lever on the side of the shifter is used for East/West. The Ball on the bottom is for North/South.

The B&M site has good step by step instructions for removal of the console and access to the shifter. Take her apart and lube her up.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Porsche/Precision-Sport-Shifter
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarsha
There are two cables. One for North/South and the other for East/West. A lever on the side of the shifter is used for East/West. The Ball on the bottom is for North/South.

The B&M site has good step by step instructions for removal of the console and access to the shifter. Take her apart and lube her up.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Porsche/Precision-Sport-Shifter
Oh yes that's right, my memory is fuzzy and the Bently manual on my desk here didn't seem to provide much help. I agree LUBE HER UP!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #11

OK, but is there a way to get grease down into the cable itself? Maybe try to spray some white lithium down into the cable end by the shifter and also "up" into the cable end by the tranny? Would changing the tranny fluid do any good? I've heard some people say that 60k should be the interval for tranny fluid and not 90k. Any thoughts?