Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #1

Forget your 3.6L swaps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0aHguIN00w

It's so silly to try and gain another 100hp or so when you get cars like this in the same city you live in.

He's also got a 520whp Camry and a 380whp Lexus IS both turbo'd.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Fred Demara

:57 seconds is my favorite - the shot of the front wheel pulling up from the ground...what a wonderful sound

but honestly, in day to day driving, who really needs more than 650hp????

thanks for posting that!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #3

Supras are dyno queens, just like vipers. You can see them throw out # like 2200hp with enough mods but as Fred said, how much of that can you really use on the street ?

Unless you're planning on running slicks as your daily tires, or even as your weekend ride, its just not going to put that 908hp down on the ground. From what I've seen in the import world, 450-550hp seems to be the magic # of fast to fun ratio. Anything more than 600hp and you're talking about racing clutches, traction problems, ect ect. Its just not worth it.

A 400hp Boxster (X51 swap) makes it one of the funnest cars around to drive. Roughly
7.3 lb / hp.

My humble opinion. Ruf seems to agree.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

The owner owns a tuning shop and he designed the whole turbo kit himself.

Nothing but admiration for what he's done to the motor of all his vehicles.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #5

Did someone say Supra???

The Supra is an awesome car! My buddy still has a mid 90's TT Supra in storage and every time he brings it out someone offers to buy it from him! It's a sweet low mileage car - wish I had one. he keeps it 100% stock. I drove it and it was fun but rattled a little too much. Still didn't handle as nice as my Boxster.

I tell my buddy every time I see him "hey I'm a Toyota guy, got a Camry and a Sienna so your Supra needs to be in my garage" I told him that if he buys a lift he can store it in my garage. LOL )

My wife's uncle is a retired Toyota trouble shooter and he loves talking about the Supra and the next generation Supra that's coming - he told me about it 5 years ago. He said that when Toyota first made the Supra he used a cheap hose / plug to make the sequential turbos run in parallel and the Toyota engineers heard about it and went to visit with him (very early 90's). He's a real Toyota nut. He once turbo charged a Land Cruiser in the late 90's and claims that he beat a late 90's Boxster off the line. I said come on, that's a 5,000 pound car verses a 3,000 pound car. His answer was "you buy me a ticket to Chicago and I'll bring a turbo for your 96 Land Cruiser" I wanted to jump all over that but my wife isn't a car person and the 96 Land Cruiser was her daily driver and she didn't want us messing with it... What an opportunity I missed. She sold the Land Cruiser because it was too rusty and "didn't look nice" in one spot. go figure...

Anyways, her uncle always raved about the bullet proof Supra engine and the straight 6 in my 90's Land Cruiser. His favorite car / truck was always a mid 90's Land Cruiser. I loved that car in the snow - wish I had it this winter.

Go Supra fans!
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp

Last edited by chitowndad; 01-11-2009 at 06:17 AM.
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #6

My freshman year room mate at college had/has a ~700whp Supra. After rebuilding the engine and upgrade the turbo/fuel system/electronics he drove it a total of 1200 miles in about 4 years. I've ridden in it a couple times and its real fun once you give it some gas, but if he doesn't put on some sort of slick/semi-slick tire on the car it just spins the wheels and goes sideways. He also got it in automatic to make it a bit cheaper (no clutch upgrades) and a better drag car (4 gears vs 6).

It all costs a LOT, but some people are really into that kind of thing and his parents helped him out a lot (they own an indy repair shop).

But nothing beats completely dusting some guy in a random souped up jap rocket (including STIs and EVOs)

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
My freshman year room mate at college had/has a ~700whp Supra. After rebuilding the engine and upgrade the turbo/fuel system/electronics he drove it a total of 1200 miles in about 4 years. I've ridden in it a couple times and its real fun once you give it some gas, but if he doesn't put on some sort of slick/semi-slick tire on the car it just spins the wheels and goes sideways. He also got it in automatic to make it a bit cheaper (no clutch upgrades) and a better drag car (4 gears vs 6).

It all costs a LOT, but some people are really into that kind of thing and his parents helped him out a lot (they own an indy repair shop).

But nothing beats completely dusting some guy in a random souped up jap rocket (including STIs and EVOs)

FYI, the supra is a "jap rocket" too. Actually, it may be comparable to a NASA uber space shuttle in your context, but japanese.
Gubu986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
If horsepower is the be all end all for you, maybe you should trade your Boxster for this:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/32594/engine-block-pass-time-75-chevy-vega
Old 01-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #9

It is a jap rocket but I was refering more to kids that put fart cans on their civics.

And I love my horsepower and have had a Camaro SS in the past and would love to have some old muscle car someday, but for now I have stuck with Porsche.

You got to admit it, it is fun to go fast in a straight line sometimes

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #10

Smile

My next-door neighbor has a 550 HP Supra that's been sitting in his driveway, undriven, for at least 3 years. He moved on to a series of HP monsters, including a Renntech MB that dyno'ed at nearly 700 HP, and a 996 Turbo that's had a ridiculous number of mods.

Me? I can get into trouble even with my Fit, which has about as much torque as an automatic can opener. And my 914 has even less HP and it's a blast to drive on the street. All that HP on the street is pretty silly, IMO, but if it makes people happy, that's their business.

I did a Bondurant shifter kart school a couple of months ago, we drove 40 HP, 200 lb shfiter karts, or put a different way, 5 lb/hp. You don't need 900 hp to go like hell on the track with those!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #11

You forgot to factor in your own weight for that calculation. For me, it would be 40hp and roughly 400 lbs .. 10lbs / hp. =(
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
You forgot to factor in your own weight for that calculation. For me, it would be 40hp and roughly 400 lbs .. 10lbs / hp. =(
Very true! I'm about 175 lb with gear, so yes, that's 9.3 lb/hp. If you figure about 3100 lb for a Boxter with a driver and fluids, to get the same ratio, it's only 333 HP. Makes 600 HP seem like overkill even more to me.