Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #1

Rehab Time

After owning my 986 for ten years I've decided to keep it and rehab it rather than buy new. It appears i need to do a number of cosmetic things to give it an updated look and I wanted to get some suggestions.

1) I have the old chrome '98 wheels which look out of date. Thoughts/suggestions on painting these rather than replacing them? The car is ocean blue. I'm looking for ideas on both color and painting technique.

2) the windshield is lightly scratched from someone running the wipers dry. Anyone had any luck polishing these out?

3) the back plastic window is severely yellowed. an upholstery shop is asking $600 to replace. does this seem like a good deal?

4) the car was never parked in the sun or rain, but the paint still has the typical wear of car-washing, etc. suggestions for polishing this up? I have an electric buffer, but i'm not sure what kind of compound to use?

Thanks!

sam in Phx

macyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #2

1) Get new wheels, they're just like shoes and do go out of style. Did you see what LoveBunny has? I mean the wheels not her shoes.

2) Get a window/glass polishing kit from your local automotive store.

3) Replace it with a glass top.

4) I recommend you clay it then use Zaino. http://www.zainostore.com
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #3

As to the yellowed rear window, I suggest you first try some of the soft-top plastic window polishes sold on Ebay.

I bought one for $20 via ebay UK, but I see there is now one sold on US ebay that is about $8 or so. What I bought worked great, taking away the cloudiness and yellowing.

Only remaining problem is the tearing in the plastic where the window is folded ... that will require window replacement, but this improves the safety of driving significantly in the meantime.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #4

I say, get some new wheels.. A glass rear window, some glass polish, some leather restorer for the interior and go ge detailed... You'd be kicking yourself for even thinking about getting rid of it
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #5

I agree with new wheels...all in one's personal taste. As far as exterior paint care, there are excellent websites with "how to" articles. This link, Larry from Car Care Specialties, is a PCA supporter. I have been to clinics where he demonstrates how to use different products and why.

http://www.carcareonline.com/

As far as your buffer, if it's not an orbital with adjustable speed, toss it and get a Porter-Cable; you'll do more damage than good, especially on a dark car.

Regarding your top, how is the canvas? After ten years, it may not be so good; why replace the window when you can have a new top with glass installed for not that much more these days?
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
EE3racing

My dad sold Fiats, all had plastic windows in the convertibles. I believe there is only so much one can do once the polymer yellows. Having said that, I think Plexus is the best product I ever used on any plastic glass. Want a cheap alternative? A fellow boater told me about using pledge on the plastic, plexus is wayyy better but pledge is pretty damn awesome too. As for the updates, I'd try to ebay the wheels and start from scratch, paint vs chrome is not going to revolutionize the looks. If you don't have the litronics, put them on the wish list. They look far cooler and perform 100% better.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #7

Since you're "updating" it, consider updating your lights to the 03+ look:
http://hverheyen.vssi-eda.com/box_pics/lights/index.html
Old 01-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #8

I picked up some "PlastiX" at the Autozone today and it worked wonders taking the haze/cloudiness out of my back window. didn't help the slight browning at the very edge, but the rest of the window looks great.

Tried some toothpaste/baking soda to get out the slight scratches in the front glass, but did not have much luck there.

What's the story on "claying" the car? Does this fill in the faint scratches or buff them out?
macyfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:06 AM   #9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_detailing#Clay_bar
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #10

Claying the car will remove surface contaniments, but will not remove scratches. For this, you will need an orbital with a fine polish, such as Maguire's Scratch X or comparable. After claying the paint, go over each panel a couple of times with the fine polish on an orange pad. Once scratches are removed, it's time to wax with your favorite product (there are many and I think it's a personal decision).

My car is black, so after I wax, I top off with a coat of 3M hand glaze. Stand back and put on the shades!

PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 01-10-2009 at 10:50 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote