Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #1

Exclamation Need your help guys! Looking at a boxster this Saturday!

Hi guys!,

Sooo this is my first post . I found this awesome deal on a boxster that i'll be taking a look at this weekend and I really wanted your opinions on it.

1997 Porsche Boxster 2 dr convertible
2.5l H6 5sp manual 95k miles
White exterior with black leather interior, CD changer, rear speaker system
Excellent condition
Price is $8,500

The pictures i got of it are awesome.

What do you think? I currently own a 944 and I love the thing to death. I've had it for 10yrs and it has 190k on it! The miles on this are high no denying that, but ofcourse you guys are the experts and really wanted to know what you think of it even though its a short description. The engine problems with these cars scare me alot so I don't know how high the failure rate is on boxsters. Any words to ease my mind?

One last thing. When I take a look at it on Satuday anything in particular I should definitely check on? I know to watch out for the main seal leaks (should i run my finger under the car in a certain area to double check for oil?) . Thanks a ton guys for any help/advice!

Cheers!

Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #2

Garage
You sound very excited, a couple of acronyms to share:

PPI=Pre Purchase Inspection (from your local Porsche Dealership)
PPB=Personal Porsche Bankruptcy

That $8,500 Boxster for a steal can turn into a 20K nightmare overnight.

Good luck

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #3

Check out www.iwantaporsche.net
That $8,000 Porsche will be a $18,000 Porsche (doesn't include headaches). If it's for sale in the single digits, add atleast a "1" in front of it to figure true cost, that's my new philosophy.
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #4

Get a PPI from someone that knows Boxsters inside and out. Then you'll have a better idea of what kind of deal you've found. A good PPI can save you lots of $ and headache.
Good luck...by the way, $8500 for a '97 isn't necessarily a steal with the prices i've seen lately. there are '01's and '02's here in atlanta with sub-$12k asking prices. now's a great time to be picky.

Fletch
Fletch986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #5

Garage
You didn't tell us where your from? The owner of that Box might be a member of this forum.

My honest opinion, a 12 year old Box with 100K on the clock with a 2.5 for $8500? Tell them $5000 and to think about it and have them get back to you. They know that its a fair price for that car and you'll be getting a deal because the difference will be spent repairs getting it into reliable running condition (brakes, clutch, tune, tires, etc.).

Don't feel bad about offering that price, if you do offer $4500! You'll be surprised, trust me.

Good luck FB.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the help guys. I kinda thought the price was really good for what it is. If I do decide to go take a look at it though do you guys know where exactly the RMS is under the car (at the rear) since it sounds like the 97 model is most prone to this issue. After reading the "New scared boxster owner") thread (i think that was the thread title) it made me feel alot better about the car. I also read that 97's aren't effected by the sleeve failure and IMS? Anyway's thanks a ton guys for the help.

Oh! How much does a PPI cost generally? And i'm kinda surprised that private sellers would let someone take it in. Me, I would be nervous letting somone take my car to some service dept. getting poked at. Hrmm maybe that's just me?
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #7

I got my '98 Boxster over the summer for 9,500 dollars. But with a new clutch, 90k service, and still a bit left to do, that number will probably jump to $13,000. You have to remember that a '97 is the first year Porsche built the Boxster, and there might be things that go wrong with it.

Honestly, if you have the money, I'd get a '00 Boxster S and enjoy the power, the market for Boxsters is very sluggish now, so you might be able to get a really nice price for one!

That being said, if you do decide to get that '97 I'd take it to a shop and get a PPI done. Whoever does the inspection can tell you what's wrong with the car, and based on that you can add in repair costs and either haggle a bit more, or walk away from the deal if it has way too many things wrong.

In any event, good luck and hopefully welcome to the family!

Oh forgot to mention, the dealer in town offered a PPI for 120 dollars, and you can look around for an Independant shop and get a lower price. It's your call if you want the dealer or not, just make sure the people you take it to are familiar with the Boxster, you don't want an unreliable estimate for repairs, or worse yet an undetected issue!

Last edited by Lordblood; 01-15-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #8

A PPI is usually done

by the seller delivering the car to the buyer's choice of shops, the buyer paying for the PPI and both parties receiving the results in separate discussions with the mechanic.

That way the information about the car is symmetrical, both parties know the same things and no one suspects collusion between the buyer and the mechanic. It enables a fair re-negotiation on price if something unknown is discovered.

And the PPI should be done after negotiation of a price on a "if nothing more found, I'll buy at this price" basis. Because if you can't at least reach that agreement, you don't want to pay for a PPI (~$250).

Wonderful cars, the '97s are prone to many of the same problems other years have...no cars are ever perfect.

More

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote