Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

Seat belt stuck...new belts?

Hey guys,

Well, I got in my 2000 Boxster today to drive home, pulled on the seat belt, and...no dice. It seems locked into place. I've tried pulling it out, I've tried waiting a few hours...nada.

So, I think I need new belts (do I also need something mechanical/electrical which is preventing the belt from coming out?). Where can I find speed yellow belts to match the color of my 986? Alternatively, is there any chance any one knows a remedy to fix my current situation? Thanks!

kansaslawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslawguy
Hey guys,

Well, I got in my 2000 Boxster today to drive home, pulled on the seat belt, and...no dice. It seems locked into place. I've tried pulling it out, I've tried waiting a few hours...nada.

So, I think I need new belts (do I also need something mechanical/electrical which is preventing the belt from coming out?). Where can I find speed yellow belts to match the color of my 986? Alternatively, is there any chance any one knows a remedy to fix my current situation? Thanks!
This happened to me a few times, and after a few seconds, it'll "reset" and let go.

This morning, however, it happened again but DIDN'T reset... argh...

What did you do to fix this?

Cheers,

JW
Ipecac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #3

I had the same problem and ended up buying a new belt
Hopefully you can find it locally as shipping charges are outrageous (due to the charge in the tensioner it's "hazardous material")
When you swap the belt (which is fairly easy) make sure you have the battery disconnected for AT LEAST 15 minutes !!!! Otherwise you will get an "airbag idiot light" for which you either need to go to Porsche to get it cleared or you need a Durametric.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #4

Here in the South we'd just drench it in WD-40 and down a six-pack while it soaks.

If that doesn't work there is nothing else to do except replace it.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #5

I had that happen once before too. Felt like the inertial lock that keeps the belt tight during hard braking was stuck... took about 2 min of jiggling to get it to release, then it never happened again.
dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses, lads. My independent Porsche shop ordered a new one for me. I don't want to fool around with the seat belt - although the tensioner reset itself by the time I came out of my office tonight, I don't want it to happen again, particularly during a Drivers Ed/Track Day etc...
Ipecac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Here in the South we'd just drench it in WD-40 and down a six-pack while it soaks.

If that doesn't work there is nothing else to do except replace it.
I think that is the best remedy on that problem for me... it happened to me before and that is exactly what i did...

spikegomez is offline   Reply With Quote